Honored Contributor

How much are you willing to spend for a perfect fit?

[ Edited ]

What if the garment was purchased at a deep discount? Then how much?

The subject came up this morning when I took in some jeans to be hemmed. One was a standard hem job but the other one is much more labor-intensive. They are a quality pair of denim and it's worth it to me to get the proper fit/length. 
If I buy a quality piece of clothing at a ridiculously low price I don't expect to pay a ridiculously low price to get it to fit me properly. I'm willing to spend for a tailored fit. 
Seems reasonable to me but apparently there are those that if they spend a little for some thing expect to spend just a little for the alteration.

How do you feel about that?

Respected Contributor

Re: How much are you willing to spend for a perfect fit?

I agree with you....if I love that garment and want it to fit me just right then spending more for that alteration is worth it to me.  

I rarely have to do this so it's not a big deal IMO....but worth it.  

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo 

Totally agree with you.

The alterations person charges what they must for their craft.

Want to pay nothing?  Fine, then get nothing!!!🥴😵😯😮

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

The subject came up this morning when I took in some jeans to be hemmed. One was a standard hem job but the other one is much more labor-intensive. They are a quality pair of denim and it's worth it to me to get the proper fit/length. 
If I buy a quality piece of clothing at a ridiculously low price I don't expect to pay a ridiculously low price to get it to fit me properly. I'm willing to spend for a tailored fit. 
Seems reasonable to me but apparently there are those that if they spend a little for some thing expect to spend just a little for the alteration.

If this is about those to die for jeans from the other day, glad to see that a pro seems to agree it is a advanced hem job.

If is DH, I would just explain how hard jeans are for vertically challenged folks and that it means a lot to you.

Took about $100 once for me to have sleeves fixed for a lined, winter coat with plackets and working buttons.  

Honored Contributor

I like my clothes to fit well regardless of how little or how much I paid for them.  Mostly, I have pants shortened or the waist taken in.  I need it done, I don't really have a choice.  But it is something I think about before I buy a sale item.  

Honored Contributor

I don't buy anything that needs alterations.  It either fits or it doesn't.  If pants need hemming, I do it myself.  

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining 

My MIL was a seamstress! So my husband understands the value of a good tailoring job. He complains now because he used to get things for free! Lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've spent upwards of $250-300 to have suits tailored to fit me. If I got a $1200 suit for $400 and spent that to have it basically remade, I was still ahead. I had a fantastic tailor who told me that she should could always make something smaller, so if it was high quality fabric, it was well worth it. Eventually I just started having her make my suits. It was a bit of a sad day when we moved to business casual- I'd spent a lot of money building that wardrobe. I kept a couple of them, took some to a consignment shop and donated the rest. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo I come from a family that sews and have experience with alterations myself.

How much money to spend in alterations depends on the value of the item to you. This is a theme frequently discussed here, some think $130 is too much for a side stitch top, others think it is fair.  I know I can't tell you how much the alterations are worth to you.

What I did want to share is that an altered item will rarely fit "perfectly".  If you buy something off the rack that does not fit, and have it altered to fit you properly, unless the item is unstitched, recut, and put back together again to fit you (as @FrostyBabe1 said her tailor did), the fit won't be as good as if the fit was good to begin with, but may be good enough, depending on what the work is and your tolerance.  The reason is that any alteration may impact other parts of the look in unintended ways

Hemming usually turns out OK because you can tell what it will look like based on the pinning, and then make a decision.

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I am definitely willing to spend extra for a proper fit - details really are important (to me).