Honored Contributor

How many pounds must you lose/gain to change clothing sizes?

I'm "super-short", barely 5' tall.

For me, 10 lbs. is a clothing size.  Is that standard for women of all heights?  I would think it varies a lot, depending how tall you are.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How many pounds must you lose/gain to change clothing sizes?

I'm 5'4" (used to be 5'5")  guess I lost an inch along the way.....LOL     I do try not to let my weight gain go more than a few pounds, however I can really feel the difference in my clothing with just a bloated day.   That usually is a stretchy leggings kind of day!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m struggling to regain weight after a bout of digestive problems. So I have been keeping close watch.

Finally, after gaining 20 pounds, a few tops are too small now.

I am 5ft 4” tall.

ETA: It took me a year to gain the 20 pounds.

Honored Contributor

I had always heard the general rule of thumb was 10 pounds.  However, for me, it's closer to 20. 

Esteemed Contributor

It took a loss of 20 pounds to lose one size. I am 5'2".

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

I'm  5'10", for me it's at least 10 lbs. Depends on the item of clothing too-pants vs tops vs dresses. Jeans are very unforgiving.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@house_catwrote:

I'm "super-short", barely 5' tall.

For me, 10 lbs. is a clothing size.  Is that standard for women of all heights?  I would think it varies a lot, depending how tall you are.

@house_cat  I would think it depends on height and whether you’re small boned or lg. boned. 5 lbs. on my 5’1” small boned frame makes everything I wear feel tight and uncomfortable.

That said, I stay on my diabetic diet (not diagnosed...for prevention, since parents & brother were all diabetic)...& have been on it for at least 20 yrs. I exercise regularly (while I still can w/o limitations) and allow myself 3 lbs. up or down so my weight never gets out of control. 

For my health, I want to keep my A1C # normal range, but for my closet, I spend a lot of $ on individual, keep forever,  clothing pieces....5 lbs. would make them not fit well.

Honored Contributor

I am of the 20# opinion.

Honored Contributor

10 lbs for me

Respected Contributor

It depends on your size. 

A 10 pound loss on someone with a small frame who only weighed 100 pounds to begin with will show up more dramatically than someone who is 200 pounds and loses 10.  The person who was 200 pounds might have to lose 20 pounds or more to change sizes.