Regular Contributor

Re: How important are your eyeglass frames to you?

Very important to me! I like to have at least two pair. One a bit more conservative, and the other a bit more playful.

Honored Contributor

60 Minutes once had a story about an eyeglass frame manufacturer. Seems they make frames for most of the brand and designer names out there. It was a real eye opener.

Honored Contributor

I would never buy glasses from the internet. It is vital that they are properly fit to your face and your eyes. This year I got new glasses. They are not the rectangular smaller style that has been in style but are larger and round, and are pink plastic. they are very complimentary to my oval face.

Contributor

I work in a high end retail Optical Dept. and agree...glasses are as important to your image and style as your jewelry and hair. It's not unusual for people (men and women) to come back two or three times before finally selecting a frame. We carry products that run from $60 to well over $500 just for the frames. Styles run from super conservative rimless to total bejeweled but the most popular trend seems to be the darker rimmed "Zooey" squarish ones for our younger clients. There are so many variables that factor into choosing the "right" frame...face structure (oval, square, round) width of your nose bridge, placement of your eyebrows, weight of the frame before lenses are added as well as eye and hair color. Our frames are measured to fit the face plane and the precise placement of the prescription. Based on my personal experience and how personal and vital it is to have a correct Rx for your eyes, I wouldn't risk saving a few bucks buying online or frankly at one of those one-hour places. By the way, it's taken me since last Sept to find the "perfect" pair for my own

Trusted Contributor

To me, they are an accessory just like a handbag or jewelry. I have one pair in a color (a dark red) and one in a neutral (grey).

Valued Contributor

On 8/13/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

VERY ......... Cool

Eyeglasses are jewelry for your face ...... use it to your best advantage! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

100% AGREE! I've worn glasses for going on 30 years. I am not quite as blind as my DH and therefore I can sometimes put my glasses on the top of my head, remove them to see something small, etc., but they are pretty much on my face most of the time. The choosing of frames is really, really important to me. And it takes quite a while for me to pick the right ones. And I MUST have my DH with me to help make a good choice. Left to my own devices I could go a little too crazy and get sick of my frames within a few days.

Esteemed Contributor

Glasses are VERY important! I'm spoiled by Silhouette glasses; they are the only ones that I wear. I always buy two pairs: same frame with one for my progressive lens and one with only the bifocal lens for the entire lens (makes a "reader" for using my computer). I've done this for years! Typically, when I get a new set--which I do a couple of times a year--I spend about $1,500. I disagree with an earlier poster that rimless glasses make you look old. It totally depends on the glasses....You should see the ads from Silhouette with Cate Blanchett; she looks amazing in them.

Trusted Contributor

I think one can wear a rimless frame if she is fit, stylish in dress and has good modern hair--like me--without looking granny. There are many different lens shapes, also, that can modernize the look. They sure don't look Ben Franklin on me when I try them on.

Contributor

I have 10 pairs! I use Zenni Optical, and glasses are so inexpensive with them. It takes about 2 weeks for them to arrive. I wear progressive lenses and all have been spot on. I have trendy and traditional, wire frames, cat eye for prescription sunglasses, etc. I love having a choice.

Regular Contributor

I HATE getting new frames because I can't SEE without the script in them......but went ahead and bought Flexon ( very light ) for Nike but wanted ALL black..... the arms seem to bow a bit but they are very comfy I have had 3 pair the same script for 10 years... these are a bit bigger at my age now it makes my face more evened out black light frame but I did notice after I got home the Nike swoosh very small on the arms were orange so I took a marks a lot and colored that in......can't take them back and I'm allowed frames every year but still have to pay a lot...... all the glasses now are too big and very heavy so guess I'll stick with these. Although they had some for people with no insurance I liked I may go in and get them very light all black....for about 300 total....I have progressives, blended...anyway its a pain and then you're stuck...lol