Esteemed Contributor

Re: How high a heel do you wear?

@muttmom wrote:

I have a prosthetic leg and thankfully over the years they've become more shoe friendly.  There was a time I could wear up to 2".  Now for dressy occasions I can do 3".  I small platform is most helpful for stability.

@muttmom, thank you for sharing. I, for one, would have a difficult time "walking a mile in your shoes." Your grace has humbled me today. You rock is the very best of ways! Heart

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

2" to 2 1/2" is my sweet spot.  I'll go as high as 3 1/2" for dressy. 

I don't care for platforms.  For me, it isn't the pitch of the foot that is uncomfortable in higher heels.  I can do a higher heel as long as I am standing up.  It is the getting up and down out of a chair that bothers me in heels.  It puts too much stress on my knees.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

I have a prosthetic leg and thankfully over the years they've become more shoe friendly.  There was a time I could wear up to 2".  Now for dressy occasions I can do 3".  I small platform is most helpful for stability.

God bless you!  What an inspiration.  Like others, I experience vertigo with sinusitis.  

I like to wear heels because I am short and it gives me some stature if I am speaking or teaching to be level or near-level with others.  I try to do inspirational speaking but I don't do this often, just a few engagements, some clubs and church work, but I, nonetheless, feel frumpy in flats.  

Bless you for the inspiration you have provided others.  I have MS and often have a little neuropathy which is better than where I once was and I know what an effort and how much desire it takes to do what many take for granted.  I have legs.  I once had 2 legs that were nonfunctional but at least I had legs.  I might not have been as optimistic had I been as you are.  Thank you again for sharing.  

Respected Contributor

@muttmom  you go girl! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My everyday height is a ballet flat or up to a 2 inch heel. I have a few shoes that are 3 1/2 inches high. I am slowly replacing those high heels with 2 - 3 inch wedges which are more comfortable and stable, because at my age I just can't wear those high heels very long anymore.
Respected Contributor

3...but there have been a couple pair that go a bit over 3"...I think my fav is around 2.5 to 2.75 inches...

I cannot do flats at all....

Frequent Contributor

I used to wear 4 inch and higher heels every day.  Now that I'm older that doesn't work, so I wear 3" heels and they are usually the wedges.  I love wearing higher heels, but they are just too uncomfortable.

Respected Contributor

@ladyroxanne

@Nonametoday

@islandgrrl

@MaggieMack

Thank you for your kind words.Heart  It was devastating when I was 16.  Now it's just part of me.

Honored Contributor

@Katyq wrote:

When you wear heels are you tolerating pain the entire time or do they not hurt you? I have wondered this for a long time. I can't wear more than 3/4", and that only if I won't be on my feet much.

*************No, my feet don't hurt, it's that the lack of our spinal alignment increases more with every fraction we go up in heels after about two inches.  Three is uncomfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

The forward pitch of the shoe has to be low enough so that my feet can tolerate wearing them for at least an hour so 2.5 inches difference between the heel height and the footbed height is the maximum I can wear. Even then some shoes if there isn't enough padding in the forefoot will become uncomfortable before an hour is up.

When I people watch when I'm at the mall, very few women wear any sort of stilleto heel at all.