Honored Contributor

Re: How high a heel do you wear?

I have found that walking in high heels, 3 inches or higher, requires a different way of walking.  Most ladies touch down on the metatarsus (ball of the foot) followed mimmediately by touching down the heel, as we were taught at white gloves and party manners or runway walking as young girls; however, with higher heels, one must touch down with the heel before the "ball" part of the foot.  That's what I do, at least. It might not work for everyone but it does for me.

Regular Contributor

I was always the 6" heel girl and never had a problem walking. I guess that was because I loved being taller. At the ripe old age of 65 I came down with vertigo and Ms Vertigo does not like heels. Hurt my feelings so bad. Believe me I have tried wearing them but I can't. The highest is about 3". If I go higher it trggers Ms Vertigo. Smiley Sad

I sent this message from the last living brain cell I have.
Honored Contributor

@Ms Tink wrote:

I was always the 6" heel girl and never had a problem walking. I guess that was because I loved being taller. At the ripe old age of 65 I came down with vertigo and Ms Vertigo does not like heels. Hurt my feelings so bad. Believe me I have tried wearing them but I can't. The highest is about 3". If I go higher it trggers Ms Vertigo. Smiley Sad

I've never heard of 6" heels.

I will be 65 soon.  When I started wearing heels, the highest stores sold were 3"-3.5". 

Honored Contributor

3 inches max

I prefer 2 to 2.5

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

It would not be higher than 1"

Honored Contributor

I agree Newgate, 3 inch heels are a perfect height.  I grew up watching shows like Bewitched, Donna Reed, Leave it To Beaver.  I believe they all wore 3 inch heels.  I think this height is flattering to everyone and you look nice walking in them.  The higher heels, honestly only few women can carry that off.  I have a friend who walks in those heels like they are tennis shoes.  She just glides in them.  Then I see women who look like they are falling off of them. 

Honored Contributor

I would never be able to walk in a 6 inch heel. I don't think I've ever seen a 6 inch heel. Lol
Respected Contributor

I have a prosthetic leg and thankfully over the years they've become more shoe friendly.  There was a time I could wear up to 2".  Now for dressy occasions I can do 3".  I small platform is most helpful for stability.

Respected Contributor

I might add that my heel limit is pretty much controlled by my foot size 8. I've tried 6 inch heels, but I was almost walking on my tip toes. Not easy to do, so that was that. 

Respected Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

I have a prosthetic leg and thankfully over the years they've become more shoe friendly.  There was a time I could wear up to 2".  Now for dressy occasions I can do 3".  I small platform is most helpful for stability.

@muttmom You are awesome!  Your spirit inspires me! Heart