Regular Contributor

Re: How does one attach bee pin to purse?

Like so many others, I recently picked up a few of Joan's bee pins. Always admired them, just not crazy about making holes in my clothes. SO, I also bought the Magnapin , problem solved...NOT. It came in today's mail. I think that it has several problems. It's very small and difficult to slide and separate the 2 pieces. There is a product (silicone) filled in the barrel where the pin stick goes. You really have to push it through with substantial pressure. I think if you're not careful, you could bend the pin stick or break the hinge and ruin it. Meanwhile, the bee pins that I have and tried are too heavy and they don't sit flat, they turn and sag. The thicker the fabric, they better they sit, but that also lessens the strength of the magnet.

IMHO...Just say no to the Magnapin.

Honored Contributor

here is another idea for the bee pins......i buy these from ebay so that you can change a pin into a pendant.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Great ways to wear all our pretty pins!Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Valued Contributor

On 9/20/2014 Have6cats said:

Like so many others, I recently picked up a few of Joan's bee pins. Always admired them, just not crazy about making holes in my clothes. SO, I also bought the Magnapin , problem solved...NOT. It came in today's mail. I think that it has several problems. It's very small and difficult to slide and separate the 2 pieces. There is a product (silicone) filled in the barrel where the pin stick goes. You really have to push it through with substantial pressure. I think if you're not careful, you could bend the pin stick or break the hinge and ruin it. Meanwhile, the bee pins that I have and tried are too heavy and they don't sit flat, they turn and sag. The thicker the fabric, they better they sit, but that also lessens the strength of the magnet.

IMHO...Just say no to the Magnapin.

Gosh, what a shame - I've never had that problem, and I've used it on some Joan's larger, heavier pins. Wonder if it's a case of quality declining over the years? Mine are about 12 years old and still work fine.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Super Contributor

If there's a seam near where you would like the pin, you could work the pin between the threads on the seam. Just make sure the pin points downward.

Respected Contributor

My magnapin is at least ten years old and I had the same problem. I sent two back because I couldn't get any pin through the silicone without damaging it. Not a lesser quality problem. Will check website later. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for website!