Frequent Contributor

How does fit and flair look on large petite women?

I don't want to look like a short tent

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How does fit and flair look on large petite women?

I am also petite and certainly have no interest in this style.

Honored Contributor

@Petite oneI think it depends more upon shape than size.  I've always been short (and I'm at that age when I seem to become more so every year), but I've been a great variety of sizes from 1X for years and years to a small now.

For a long time when I was larger, I had a fairly "balanced"  figure and if the flare was not too wide I could wear it. Now I am much smaller acorss my shoulders than at the hip and I try to avoid any style that points that out.  I'm not buying flares or droopy hems or ruffled hems.  Further, I am rarely happy with a neckline like the one on today's TSV -  my weight loss has left me narrow around but still with an extra large cup.  A "V" or a deeper scoop works well, especially on a top I most likely would want to wear with no jewelry.

I do like some of the prints in the TSV, but I'm passing.

Frequent Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Petite oneI think it depends more upon shape than size.  I've always been short (and I'm at that age when I seem to become more so every year), but I've been a great variety of sizes from 1X for years and years to a small now.

For a long time when I was larger, I had a fairly "balanced"  figure and if the flare was not too wide I could wear it. Now I am much smaller acorss my shoulders than at the hip and I try to avoid any style that points that out.  I'm not buying flares or droopy hems or ruffled hems.  Further, I am rarely happy with a neckline like the one on today's TSV -  my weight loss has left me narrow around but still with an extra large cup.  A "V" or a deeper scoop works well, especially on a top I most likely would want to wear with no jewelry.

I do like some of the prints in the TSV, but I'm passing.

Thank you so much Millieshops, your reply helped me a bunch.   I'm passing since I identify with your body type

Honored Contributor

Personally, I don't like the fit and flare look in a shirt on any size.  A dress yes, a shirt, no, at least not at the length the TSV is.  It might look better in a shorter length if it just skimmed the body.

Respected Contributor

Okay.  You made me look!  I'm 5'3" 112lbs.  I'm short waisted, with a smaller waist and wider hips.  I try to accentuate the waist, which these tops would do, but I'm sure all I would see is BIG HIPS!   Don't want that!  It would look great on someone with a long torso and narrow hips, though.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm short and shrinking.  That top looks like it needs to be more fitted and that is definitely NOT what I need.  I have tried the peplum look and it's more maternity on me.

Some of tbe prints are nice, but, not this style.

Respected Contributor

Grandma r, if this is an honest question you deserve an honest answer - this is not a flattering style. 

Keep looking - you’ll find the right style.

Respected Contributor

Jane is not a "large petite woman," but she does have a very curvy figure (and, no, I'm not using that as a euphemism for overweight). Anyway, I thought she looked good in the TSV with slim pants and some sort of heeled sandals (can't remember exactly what they looked like). I think it looks best when the wearer is full enough through the bust to actually make it "fitted," and then slimmer through the waist. I don't think it has looked as good on some of the women who carry their weight through the middle, nor those on whom the bustline looks a little big/baggy.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes, unless you try a garment on, you really have no idea if it is going to look good or not.