Regular Contributor

Re: How do you feel about all the wide leg pants?

Personally, I love them...not elephant, or the short versions, but the longer styles.  I have quite a few and prefer them to leggings or jeggins...I also, love boot cut jeans.

With the wide leg you definately have to wear the right top or you can look larger than you want.

Valued Contributor

I have very large, not smooth thighs so wide legs pants and jeans work great for me.  I have them from Bob Mackie, Susan Graver, IM, D& Co and just got a pair of Halston's.  Mine are all long enough to cover my ankles and I always wear with higher heeled sandals, wedges, or shooties and they make me look taller and take the focus from my large thighs.  I do not do cropped or ankle wide legs as they really make me look chopped and bigger.  I dislike palazzos and can't do any thing skinny so I'm glad there is a choice.  In fact I'm wearing my D &Co. leopard beach pants , black tee and wedges to a graduation party today.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love them when worn right on the right body.  I used to be able to wear them. I loved my CK elephant jeans in the 70s/80s. Now, I wouldn't be caught dead in them. I leave them to others. And I envy those who can wear them. 

As for wide leg jean capris, ankles or lengths in between, they're tricky.  I think they look good with a somewhat fitted top.  Simplicity on top. Breton-type top, simple sweater, great button down tucked in or tied at waist.  This is my taste. 

Trusted Contributor

I like them but not in every length.  I have medium thighs but my legs taper to slim.   My legs are also not short or not considered long so I do well with the wide leg pants. 

Wide leg is definitely not for everyone but neither are the skinny legged pants.Woman Wink

Super Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

I love them when worn right on the right body.  I used to be able to wear them. I loved my CK elephant jeans in the 70s/80s. Now, I wouldn't be caught dead in them. I leave them to others. And I envy those who can wear them. 

Been there, done that in the 70s. Just not for me now.

Honored Contributor

I hate the wide flowy pants on me.  I'm 5'4" and pear shape.  I feel like a stump on them.  In photos I look as wide as I am tall.

I love them on other people though.   

Honored Contributor

Depends on how wide they are I ordered a or of Bob Mackie cropped gauchos in black...love them. Even as short as I am they look fine and don’t overwhelm me....may go back for the navy. Full length wide legged pants just make me look frumpy-dumpy. Unless you are at least 6 ft tall and razor-thin it isn’t a good look on most.
Regular Contributor

Love them!  And, feel we have had enough years of the skinny leg...especially since they are not flattering on everyone.  At 5 8 1/2" and size medium in a pant I don't feel they add any bulk.  I understand that wide leg pants may not work as well if you're shorter.  

Trusted Contributor

They might look good on a tall thin person.

Honored Contributor

I like a wide leg, I like a slim leg and sometimes even a skinny! Not every wide leg, slim or skinny is identical to the next! Much like any other style or embellishment it differs from piece to piece.

I'm 5'2 with curves and here are 3 examples of a wide leg and I'm pleased with all! (on me)

wide leg utility:

Me 8.jpg

wide leg crop

wide leg crop.jpg

a dressier lined wide leg trouser (Marc Bouwer)

wide leg.jpg

The one thing they all have in common is that they're woven (my preference)