Respected Contributor

How do I stretch elastic Headbands?

I bought a bunch of beautiful elastic headbands on sale, and laundered them as I usually do with new items.  They were washed in COLD water.

However, I put them in the dryer and now they're too tight.

Is there some way to stretch them?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: How do I stretch elastic Headbands?

No, if they're cotton fabric they can't be stretched.  Do they go under your hair?  If so, you could cut them and sew a piece of elastic to each end.

I would have never washed something like that.  I wash face masks but never put in dryer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I only dry linens and towels. 

The dryer changes everything.

Respected Contributor

Ugh!

I can't believe this.

When I took them out of the bag, they looked so big.

Now, they're too tight.

Cat Frustrated

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Put them back into some water, wring them out and then try stretching them while they are still wet. Air dry.

Valued Contributor

@RinaRina 

Wrap item around a circular object

I have had a few customers and friends try this nifty method - Melon stretching. Or any circular object that is a similar size to your head! Place your head-wear around the object for about 12 hours. After time's up, I believe your beanie should have stretched some. Be careful not to place it on something that's too big, as you may over stretch it!

Stretch then set

After a wash, place the item after gently towel drying it on some parchment paper. While slightly moist, stretch the head-wear gently to the size you wish and place heavy objects so it stays in place until dry. Make sure you use both hands and equal strength so you do not cause any warping in the material.

Copied from internet

Respected Contributor

@Reconnaissant wrote:

@RinaRina 

Wrap item around a circular object

I have had a few customers and friends try this nifty method - Melon stretching. Or any circular object that is a similar size to your head! Place your head-wear around the object for about 12 hours. After time's up, I believe your beanie should have stretched some. Be careful not to place it on something that's too big, as you may over stretch it!
================================

Great!  Found it!  Plastic trashcan!

THANK YOU!