Honored Contributor

I have found this to be very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jk55ep4XUQ

Honored Contributor

Re: How To Properly Fit A Bra

@ECBG - That was interesting and informative - thank you for posting it. . I usually wear Soma or another brand  I got at Kohl's that was discontinued as soon as I found it! But since we've been home I've been on a QVC Bra TSV buying spree to find the perfect one!

I have to disagree with her on two things: First, she says "US bra manufacturers don't know what they're doing." I'm sure some do. Second, at the beginning of the video she talks about how she was fitted at VS. DD worked there her last year of high school and all through college. I never saw her or any other fitter measure above the breast like that. I know most of the girls would ask if they could measure you with just your bra on, then they would measure under the bust and around the bust and use their formula to get the right size. Maybe the girl that does this video had that experience at her local VS, but the one near us doesn't do it that way!  Smiley Wink                                                                   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG Thanks, that was interesting. Over the years, I've seen one video directing you to measure above your breasts the way she described as the incorrect method, but most of the ones I've seen tell you to measure around the fullest part of your breast while standing up. I like her recommendation to bend at the waist, parallel to the floor when measuring for cup size. This is consistent with the final step Tomima tells you to take when putting your bra on (bend parallel to the floor, then scoop and lift your breast into the bra cup). When I do this, there's no side spillage. One other tip I've learned is that your bra should be able to support you without having the straps in place, reinforcing what she said about the band providing most of the support. Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

The most important things she said were the part where you measure parallel to the ground to bring all your breast tissue forward and the fact that it should fit at the loosest closure not the tightest!

Unfortunately finding the right size means relying on all the manufacturers having the same standards in sizing! They don't so you still need to go by trial and error

Honored Contributor

iT'S NOT MEASURING.  The problem is manufacturers assuming.

If you are a certain weight, they assume your arms are a certain length.  If your bra size is a certain length measure, then they assume everything else is in a single proportion to that.  There is very little range of sizing in so many things now.   QVC is especially bad about this.

Everything now is made to the average.  If you aren't average, good luck to you!  

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG It works!  I watched the video and just as the woman giving the demo predicted, I came out with a size that sounded crazy.  I have bras in a 34D (and that is with Nordstom sizing help).  But according to the way she says to measure, I needed a 32F.  As crazy as it sounded, I was determined to try it.  Since Nordstrom has such a great return policy, I placed an order.  In the demo, she recommends going with European sizing.  I got a Chantelle in a 32F.  The cup size is perfect, fits flat against the breast bone, no back fat.  

Thanks for sharing! 

Honored Contributor

@Tadaki Isn't it great when something actually works!

Glad for you!Smiley Happy