Respected Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Buy Clothes You Don't LOVE?

I have done several purges lately as the seasons changed. I left several things in the closet last spring that I thought I might wear. Those items I left on the hanger are now going to be donated. I like having  hanger room in my closet so I can actually see what's in it! Anything pilled, faded, or uncomfortable is on the donation list too.

Respected Contributor

This is something that drives me beyond crazy. I will go to great lengths to try and remodel a clothing item before I finally give up and admit it just doesn't work for me. I will dye it, or take it in somewhere, or cut off the sleeves, or change the shape of it, before I finally yank it off the hanger and stuff it I to the donation bag. I know. I'm obsessed. ):

Honored Contributor

Oh I always would buy mainly because something was on sale. I had a closet full of clothing that were just "ok". I have gotten older, moved, purged just about everything upon relocating. My closet is consisting of clothing I actually love now. Sure, I spend more on my pieces but they actually "will last me a lifetime". I went crazy this winter and bought quite a collection of big, furry, winter boots. Sure they were costly but I love all of them. I'll wear them forever (during winters of course). Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

A clothing item has to call out to me and be something I really like and very rarely am I disappointed even though I buy 99% of my clothing online.  If it's on sale great but if I like it I just buy it.  Gone on the days of buying because something is just great price even though the color isn't really something I like or it just really isn't me.  I learned many many years ago that it's more economical to just buy what I like and will wear than to waste money on sale items I won't end up wearing.  

Esteemed Contributor

Never - that I can think of.  If I don't love it, I don't spend my money on it.  But.... there are items I loved when I bought them, but after wearing a few times, I decided I didn't like the fit or the color or whatever and they got shoved to the back of the closet.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

I don't do that anymore.  I only buy what I love.  I used to wear things in my closet just because it was there whether I loved it or not.  I have since purged all of those pieces and just wear and keep what I love.  If I have something in my closet and wear it and don't love it, it immediately goes out!

Esteemed Contributor

I have quite a few clothes i don't absolutely love........those are things that i may have an event for or more formal occasion and i look and look and not finding exactly what i have in mind....i may finally settle ................would be great if for every occasion one found the 'perfect' outfit!

Esteemed Contributor

Woman Embarassed Bras and bathing suits. last year I brought a orange and black bathing suit one piece. It looks horrible on me and the color orange in this suit is very loud. . What was I thinking?Woman Embarassed

Respected Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

Woman Embarassed Bras and bathing suits. last year I brought a orange and black bathing suit one piece. It looks horrible on me and the color orange in this suit is very loud. . What was I thinking?Woman Embarassed

@apple1964 Lol. Everyone goes a bit goofy trying to buy a swimsuit! It's one of the traumas of the dressing room...

Honored Contributor

A few times I've needed something for functional purposes (like stretchy pants or sweat pants), but only wore it for that purpose and then put it in my "clothes to be used for painting and chemicals" pile. 

I will say that one habit I had to break myself of, and this is a tip I learned from What Not To Wear, is to not leave the store/mall without a complete outfit.  So unless it can be worn with jeans or a black or white bottom piece, I won't leave the store unless I have a complete outfit.

If I REALLY love something, I will try to find the rest of the outfit in another store/mall, and then return it if I can't find what I need.

This saves me from donating things with tags still on them.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN