Honored Contributor

How Much of Your Wardrobe is Second Hand

How much of your wardrobe is second hand? Do you buy items at resale, vintage, & consignment shops? 

I used to think it was a bit creepy buying other people’s used clothing. My attitude was rather strange considering that I donated or sold a lot of nice gently used clothing over the years. 

In the last few years, I’ve actually started buying second hand items. I shop mainly in the consignment store where I sell my own fashion items. I’ve purchased handbags, tops, sweaters, jeans, skirts, dresses, & jewelry. I have about 10 items currently in my wardrobe that I purchased for great prices at the consignment shop. 

I still haven’t bought clothing from Goodwill, although I know people say they’ve found great bargains there. I don’t think I’ll ever purchase used shoes. That still creeps me out. 

Respected Contributor

Re: How Much of Your Wardrobe is Second Hand

None.

Honored Contributor

None.  Two things come to mind.  I don't want to spend that much time shopping and items I've seen in consignment stores don't seem like a bargain to me.

Respected Contributor

None

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

I collect Chicos denim jackets; most are from Ebay.  I think Chicos target audience in general take good care of their clothes and don't wear any one item non stop.  Paying 20% of retail works for me!

Esteemed Contributor

Zero.

Honored Contributor

I've been bringing a lot of my clothing to a local consignment store for a few years.  Last year while waiting for her to go through my things, I happened to see a Susan Graver lightweight nylon rain jacket....in my size & color!  Looked like new and so I picked it up.

Other than that I would never look for used clothing....I hate to hunt through the racks at Marshalls or Ross.

Honored Contributor

None.  If I am going to spend money, it will be on new clothing.  I don't want to purchase or wear used clothing

Honored Contributor

@wilma I often mix great secondhand buys with pieces from other sources so that if I check from head to toe, there aren't 2 items I bought at the same time or even from the same source.

The Goodwill store nearest me is in the same shopping center as Home Depot, so, yes, I even go there.  I've found Eileen Fisher, Jones, St. John's, Chico's there -  and those are all brands I might buy new as well, but 6 0r 8 dollars for sometihing that new would cost well over $100 -- why pass that up?

I grew up with a moher who was genius at finding deals at what were called rummage sales in our town.  She often came home having spent just one dollar and from her finds would include something to wear, but mostly items to tear apart so that she could use the good fabrics, buttons, and zippers to sew something special for herself or one of us 3 daughters.

Honored Contributor

None

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee