Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Much More Just Shoes Could Cost

@Kachina624 wrote:

@kivah.  We need to do some dumping but it's not China.

@Kachina624, Once again, you have “nailed it.”  You can say in one sentence what it would take me three paragraphs to say.  I have two grandchildren, growing like weeds.  Parents are both college grads, good jobs, but I do anticipate their challenges will grow.  With all my faults aside, I do believe in “giving with a warm hand.”  I think my hands will be growing warmer.

Want to hear something funny?  My GS, age 11, is very tall and thin, like his Daddy.

Recently I said to him, “Wow, you are so tall.  Pretty soon Mimi (me) will be looking up at you.”  His responses:  “Yes, and my Daddy, too.”  Both GC have inherited my sense of humor.  Oh well.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@kivah.  We need to do some dumping but it's not China.

i wish i could give you 100 hearts for this

Regular Contributor

Perhaps people should study up on what massive trade imbalance is/will be doing to our country.  We cannot exist just selling each other coffee and insurance!

Esteemed Contributor

@BadWolf, Perhaps some folks do not realize that many do not deny the existence of the problem.  The difference is how it is dealt with is a big issue.  For instance, cyber attacks and theft of intellectual property is a big issue.  Some believe that a group of other countries, all united in one goal, would have been more effective.  If Europe, Canada, Australia were all together in this, many lifelong diplomats feel it would be much more effective.  Keep in mind China holds our loans to the tune of one trillion dollars.  Kind of sobering.  You might be surprised to see how many people have “studied up” on this matter.

Trusted Contributor

@BadWolf wrote:

Perhaps people should study up on what massive trade imbalance is/will be doing to our country.  We cannot exist just selling each other coffee and insurance!

Our country has experienced economic expansion since June 2009. And the previous catastrophic recession was not due to trade imbalances, but financial speculation. Some of us have spent some time studying up on things.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

This should be moved. I come to the fashion forum to cheer up not get depressed.

Honored Contributor

Don't worry!  There are other countries making shoes that are not subject to tariffs.

India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Brazil, Bangladesh, Turkey, Mexico, Italy, Thailand, Spain.

It's up to the companies who need shoes to be made whether they will choose countries that are not tariffed or stay with China.

Those companies choosing to stay with China might use lower quality materials to keep prices down.  I don't know, but it could be a consequence.  

China is the only country subject to tariffs. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

I just received my Capresso, 4 to 12 cup electric percolator, from Costco - I used it 3 times for breakfast. So far, GREAT!!! It's heavier and more sturdy than those other electric percolators, ie, Farberware (I had both sizes), 12 cup Cuisinart and 12 cup Hamilton Beach. I just sent back a 4-cup Farberware to Bed/Bath because the lid didn't close securely.

Capresso is my last hope. I live 10 minutes from Costco - and if there's a problem, I'll just take it back. I love electric percolators and it's the only coffee-maker I've ever used. Capresso also stays HOT (unlike the other brands).

I was drinking tea for a week - until the Capresso arrived - and I was "depressed."

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@kivah so that addresses your concerns?

Esteemed Contributor

Continuing the discussion of shoes... I had a friend whose Mom was a young adult in France during the Nazi occupation; she made all of her clothing INCLUDING her shoes!!That's another alternative.