Respected Contributor

Re: How Much More Just Shoes Could Cost

@Nonametoday wrote:

I think this is a discussion for a political forum.  We all have our feelings on it and I think there could be some heated discussions over this.  This might be a discussion befitting Community Chat.

Political discussions are not allowed here.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 :  I agree with your sentiments and several posts have already "slipped through" the moderators (usual eagle eye).  This is a very loaded topic (and I'm sure most of us have strong opinions).

Honored Contributor

Not  too long ago, there was a lot of chatter here about "buy American."

Perhaps this will be a good time to start.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA :  Hard to buy American if we no longer make the product (shoes and steel are but two examples).

Honored Contributor

@patbz 

You'll  find both via Google.

Honored Contributor

Here's the challenge:   U.S. shoe factories have been gone for decades.   New ones would need to have state-of-the-art equipment.   Second:   My friends' children and grandchildren strive to be "entrepreneurs", not work at a factory.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Any family  that is having trouble clothing their  children, should check out garage sales and thrift shops

You would be surprised at the selection of shoes, some brand new. Kids often outgrow shoes, before they see much wear

Adult shoes are also plentiful. Many are brand new ,or have almost no wear on them

This won't  solved the national problem, but, it will help families pinch the pennies and stretch their dollars.

Honored Contributor

It's going to hit people who aren't rich very hard. People don't have time to wait for jobs to come back that are not going to come back in order to buy shoes for themselves and their children. Or to do all the work it takes to try to find American made shoes with all American made materials.

People are forgetting that it's not just the finished product, it's the materials used for the product. Many of which are made and purchased in China.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Trusted Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21perfectly stated. And telling someone shopping for bargain shoes to just buy American is incredibly tone deaf. American made anything is going to cost more than Chinese imports, even with the coming tariffs, and rightfully so.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor

Heading back over to the newspaper now.  See ya

Cogito ergo sum