Valued Contributor

Re: How Do You Store Your Sweaters?

https://snapguide.com/guides/hang-a-sweater/?

If you have room in your closet, I swear by this for many of my Linea whisper knits especially!!!  Works great, in my opinon, and no funny lumps, bumps or wrinkles.

KK

Esteemed Contributor

@Karlakaye wrote:

If you have room in your closet, I swear by this for many of my Linea whisper knits especially!!!  Works great, in my opinon, and no funny lumps, bumps or wrinkles.

KK

@Karlakaye, ingenious! Thanks for sharing, now I have a new project. I have always hung my sweaters and really haven't had a problem with shoulder bumps or stretching, but this new way makes so much sense.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

In season, my sweaters and heavier knits reside in my IKEA cube furniture unit in the bedroom.  I love this!  Out of season, they get packed away into large containers and placed with my winter coats, packed the same, in the attic space in th garage.

Respected Contributor

@Karlakaye wrote:

KK

What a good idea.  I'm going to try it.

Respected Contributor

I have been known to lightly iron my creased sweaters.  Very lightly, more like a steaming, really.  I only hang them if I WANT them to get bigger.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Thanks all.  I do have one of the canvas hangers like @LilacTree mentioned and it works great.  (I had a problem the other week where I put so much stuff on the bar in the closet that it broke from the brackets.) 

I think I'm going to invest in a steamer. Hopefully, that should help a lot. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Folded in a drawer.

I have more drawer space than hanger space (sharing a small walk-in closet with DH).

Thicker sweaters don't seem to get fold marks. Thin ones can, and I guess I could steam them but I don't.

Respected Contributor

i fold all my sweaters and put them on the shelves in my closet.  i do hang my sweater coats.

Respected Contributor

I have to keep my sweaters visible, out of sight means out of mind for me.  So, I only put the ones I don't wear often, like my holiday sweaters, in drawers.  They stay in a drawer for 11 months and never crease.  I fold them lightly, separate them with tissue paper and I don't stuff the drawer with sweaters.  I never, ever hang sweaters on hangers.  Rather I fold them in half and drape them over a flocked hanger.  I usually put two sweaters on one hanger.    

Respected Contributor

I fold and store on shelves in my closet.  I also use a steamer to remove any fold lines.  All of my cashmere sweaters I store in Large Zip Lock Bags...They protect them...I put a sprig of Lavender in with each one...Again, before wearing I will steam.