Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,577
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: How Do You Really Feel In Your Clothes?


@Trinity11wrote:

@Soonerwrote:

@ALRATIBAwrote:

I think the question isn't "how we feel in our clothes" but rather "do other people judge us by our clothes."  That seemed to be the jist of video ... you are judged by what you wear.

 

Just reading what's written here on the forum ... there's a lot of judging going on.

 

 


I firmly believe people assess us in large part by what they see, especially when we first meet.  I also think that what we wear sends a message about who we think we are, or who we want to be.

 

If you say "I just dress for myself I don't care what others think" what you wear probably puts that message forward loud and clear. 


@Sooner I was just thinking of all the wonderful people I have met over the years that don't give a fig about clothes. Personally, I would have missed meeting some wonderful, creative people if I had discounted them based on how they dress. 


@Trinity11  My point was not that clothing defines your worth.  My point was that people assume things about you when they meet you because of our clothing, and also we dress to look like who we want to be or think we are.  Clothing is the first impression.  Clothing is what we select to reflect how we see outselves. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,345
Registered: ‎11-16-2014

Re: How Do You Really Feel In Your Clothes?


@Soonerwrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Soonerwrote:

@ALRATIBAwrote:

I think the question isn't "how we feel in our clothes" but rather "do other people judge us by our clothes."  That seemed to be the jist of video ... you are judged by what you wear.

 

Just reading what's written here on the forum ... there's a lot of judging going on.

 

 


I firmly believe people assess us in large part by what they see, especially when we first meet.  I also think that what we wear sends a message about who we think we are, or who we want to be.

 

If you say "I just dress for myself I don't care what others think" what you wear probably puts that message forward loud and clear. 


@Sooner I was just thinking of all the wonderful people I have met over the years that don't give a fig about clothes. Personally, I would have missed meeting some wonderful, creative people if I had discounted them based on how they dress. 


@Trinity11  My point was not that clothing defines your worth.  My point was that people assume things about you when they meet you because of our clothing, and also we dress to look like who we want to be or think we are.  Clothing is the first impression.  Clothing is what we select to reflect how we see outselves. 


@Sooner, see that is how we differ. I don't size up people by their clothing. I usually form an opinion of someone by what comes out of their mouth. How they speak and what they have to say. So yes, we probably all make judgments except we differ on how we make them.

 

Clothing doesn't really tell me all that much. My first impressions don't have much to do with how someone is dressed....

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,577
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: How Do You Really Feel In Your Clothes?


@Trinity11wrote:

@Soonerwrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Soonerwrote:

@ALRATIBAwrote:

I think the question isn't "how we feel in our clothes" but rather "do other people judge us by our clothes."  That seemed to be the jist of video ... you are judged by what you wear.

 

Just reading what's written here on the forum ... there's a lot of judging going on.

 

 


I firmly believe people assess us in large part by what they see, especially when we first meet.  I also think that what we wear sends a message about who we think we are, or who we want to be.

 

If you say "I just dress for myself I don't care what others think" what you wear probably puts that message forward loud and clear. 


@Sooner I was just thinking of all the wonderful people I have met over the years that don't give a fig about clothes. Personally, I would have missed meeting some wonderful, creative people if I had discounted them based on how they dress. 


@Trinity11  My point was not that clothing defines your worth.  My point was that people assume things about you when they meet you because of our clothing, and also we dress to look like who we want to be or think we are.  Clothing is the first impression.  Clothing is what we select to reflect how we see outselves. 


@Sooner, see that is how we differ. I don't size up people by their clothing. I usually form an opinion of someone by what comes out of their mouth. How they speak and what they have to say. So yes, we probably all make judgments except we differ on how we make them.

 

Clothing doesn't really tell me all that much. My first impressions don't have much to do with how someone is dressed....


@Trinity11  I'm not saying you size up people by their clothing.  I'm saying how someone is dressed strikes everyone they meet on some level.  You may talk to them or get to know them and form a very different opinion but their appearance affects what we think when we see people.  

 

Movies costume the characters for a reason.  Clothing all of us wear is a costume when you get right down to it.  It's our most basic message to the world about who we are or want to be.  It is part of how we perceive others and a part of our personality as individuals.