Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Do You Really Feel In Your Clothes?

@ECBG

Thanks for posting...found it interesting and agreed with much of what she said.   Her take on the 20%/80% vis a vis money really caught my attention!  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBAwrote:

I think the question isn't "how we feel in our clothes" but rather "do other people judge us by our clothes."  That seemed to be the jist of video ... you are judged by what you wear.

Just reading what's written here on the forum ... there's a lot of judging going on.

I firmly believe people assess us in large part by what they see, especially when we first meet.  I also think that what we wear sends a message about who we think we are, or who we want to be.

If you say "I just dress for myself I don't care what others think" what you wear probably puts that message forward loud and clear. 

Honored Contributor

I agree that one has to dress for the occasion and color has a lot to do with it.  When preparing for an important meeting where I intended to be taken very seriously and be formidable, I always wore a red suit jacket.  When I wanted to be considered "sincere".... I usually chose blue.  At work I never dressed trendy, was always conservative and considered colors very carefully.  My natural tastes lean towards a little different, slightly funky and comfortable..... 

I agree that people will judge you by how you dress..

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

That was interesting, @ECBG.  I found this other short video by her that talks about some of the "feelings" the clothing in our closet bring out (and this can be applied to anything you are trying to declutter I think.)  I know that too often in the past I have settled for "this will do" or this is "just so-so" and kept things I should have returned.  I know that I've kept many items thinking this will work if I get it altered or if I just lose 5 pounds and those things just hang around in my closet forever.  I'm also guilty of holding on to things just because they cost a lot of money even if I don't use them regularly.  Those are things I am trying to work on now.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO3dFY1AroM

Respected Contributor

While trying to concentrate on what she was saying, I constantly found myself distracted by the way her dress fit.  I tried to figure out if the side seams were not sewn correctly or why the pockets seemed to be constantly puckering when she paced back and forth.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@jackthebearwrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@ECBGwrote:

I ran across this very interesting video on clothes we wear.  

As we organize closets for the next season, you may find some useful nuggets here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMidUkjJj9g

Respectfully said....This is the same bill of goods women were fed for years. The outside package will NOT be the determining factor in how far we get in life. It's our confidence and education that will take us far. And a big NO to making a determination of a person's worth etc by appearance. Certainly, not in my world. Some of the most beautiful people on the outside with perfect wardrobes were empty people. Quirky, smart people ...emphasis on smart change the world too often to emphasize the outside package as being all that important. This woman has missed the boat...

you never get a 2nd chance to make a first impression, so dressed like a slob or inappropriate clothing is never good for either gender. 

@jackthebear I wasn't talking about inappropriate clothing nor dressing like a slob. I wasn't talking about extremes. What I was expressing is that the outer package isn't necessarily going to be as important as having smarts. 

Honored Contributor

@Soonerwrote:

@ALRATIBAwrote:

I think the question isn't "how we feel in our clothes" but rather "do other people judge us by our clothes."  That seemed to be the jist of video ... you are judged by what you wear.

Just reading what's written here on the forum ... there's a lot of judging going on.

I firmly believe people assess us in large part by what they see, especially when we first meet.  I also think that what we wear sends a message about who we think we are, or who we want to be.

If you say "I just dress for myself I don't care what others think" what you wear probably puts that message forward loud and clear. 

@Sooner I was just thinking of all the wonderful people I have met over the years that don't give a fig about clothes. Personally, I would have missed meeting some wonderful, creative people if I had discounted them based on how they dress. 

Honored Contributor

I have been living in lounge and workout wear since xmas, it's just one illness after the other for me. I wore my jog pants and an IM tee to my PT appointment today and after my treatment I feel pretty good. I'm looking forward to better health and my skinny jeans in a few weeks.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99wrote:

I have been living in lounge and workout wear since xmas, it's just one illness after the other for me. I wore my jog pants and an IM tee to my PT appointment today and after my treatment I feel pretty good. I'm looking forward to better health and my skinny jeans in a few weeks.

@blackhole99Bless your heart!  I hope you feel better soon!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

What I was expressing is that the outer package isn't necessarily going to be as important as having smarts. 

----------------------------------------------

While I agree, it's unfortunate that intelligence is just not considered when you dress in a way that deviates from the perception of "smarts".   Although  a lot of that is changing in society (and it's a good thing IMHO), it's still out there.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*