Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Really Feel In Your Clothes?

@house_catwrote:

Thank you for posting it, @ECBG.

I'm in need of wardrobe inspiration at the moment.

@house_cat,Wish you were near enough you could come into our store.  I'd love to help you.  As I suggested to @MacDUFF, Buy only what you LOVE!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

In all honesty and with no disrespect to the lady in the video or the OP, I watched about 5 minutes and already couldn't pay attention to her any longer. She, nor her spiel, did not hold my attention.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBGThanks for sharing that, I thought it was very interesting.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG  Thank you for sharing. I watched the video. I find it quite interesting, especially when she showed how people react to the same person dressed in two different outfits.

Honored Contributor

Truth is appearance matters. Especially applying for work. Same with someone on trial for crime. Running for political office. Clothes matter visually. It is fact.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG. How you feel and are perceived is also a matter of confidence. The most perfect, well-tailored outfit, great color, etc., will not look well if worn with poor posture & the person acts as if not comfortable in her/his own skin.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG: Well, I enjoyed the video very much. I'm 73 and retired so as far as professional clothing goes, I don't need that.

However in my day to day casual life, I feel good about my clothes and walk with confidence. Every so often I'll put something together and wonder what I was thinking.

Now, if I have to go to a dressy event I'm at a loss. No confidence in putting things together. I'm always off and uncomfortable. Not sure why but luckily those occasions are far and few between.

We got invited to a bar mitzvah in April. It's across country on the east coast. Dinner and dancing will be at a country club afterwards. Even though we won't be able to attend, my heart rate went up for a bit at the thought of me trying to put something together. 

Trusted Contributor

I watched the video and I agree with most of what she said.  We subconsciously make decisions about people's character based on how they look within a few seconds of meeting them.  Our opinions about people change as we get to know them, but we all have first impressions.  She doesn't tell people in the video exactly what they should be wearing, but to think carefully about the image that they're projecting to others and whether or not they're projecting their true selves.

One of the odd things about the video is what the speaker is wearing.  She is a stylist, and yet I found her black leather jacket to fit rather tight, and her navy blue dress, which might have been made of silk, had puckered seems along the side.  I think that someone who's a stylist would pay attention to little details like that, so I found her own choice of clothing rather odd.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

@ECBGwrote:

I ran across this very interesting video on clothes we wear.  

As we organize closets for the next season, you may find some useful nuggets here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMidUkjJj9g

Respectfully said....This is the same bill of goods women were fed for years. The outside package will NOT be the determining factor in how far we get in life. It's our confidence and education that will take us far. And a big NO to making a determination of a person's worth etc by appearance. Certainly, not in my world. Some of the most beautiful people on the outside with perfect wardrobes were empty people. Quirky, smart people ...emphasis on smart change the world too often to emphasize the outside package as being all that important. This woman has missed the boat...

you never get a 2nd chance to make a first impression, so dressed like a slob or inappropriate clothing is never good for either gender. 

Honored Contributor

If others want to define me by my apparel, that's on them. My true self has nothing to do with what I'm wearing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland