Honored Contributor

Re: Housedresses-Did your mom wear them?

Yes, in her late years my Mom wore these brightly colored or printed housedresses around the house.  They were either the kind you just slipped over the head or had snaps.  She looked so cute in them!  I guess my mom wore jeans as a young mother at home -- but they called them dungarees then!  Hers were loose fitting and the cuffs were rolled up!  In later life, my Mom never wore jeans around the house.  Just her housedresses!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

My mom loved them. Interestingly enough, they are still sold at Vermont Country Store. Personally, I think if they fit well, they are a lot prettier than living in sweats and t shirts.

Respected Contributor

No, never. My mom was a fantastic seamstress and always dressed quite nicely. Once my parents approached retirement age and became grandparents, she fully embraced a wardrobe of mostly jeans, shorts and polo shirts - things that were easily washable. 

I had a couple of older great-aunts that wore them though. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

My mom worked as a translater.  She had to be dressed up as sometimes she had to go to court.  So she wore suits. With heels, etc. When she got home, she switched to pants.  I rarely saw her in a house dress.

Honored Contributor

My mom never wore house dresses, but my grandmothers who lived with us did. My mom wore pants & tops around the house - never jeans. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes,my Mom always wore housedresses,later pants suits in her senior years.

Honored Contributor

Everyone around me wore slacks except for the grandmother that owned the large shoe store, she wore beautiful knit suits.

Respected Contributor

No, my mom wore slacks or shorts at home/running errands. It was my grandmother that wore house dresses.

Trusted Contributor

My grandmother wore a dress every day.  I recently saw an old photo of us apple picking and there she was in her dress.  She is missed.