Honored Contributor

Re: Housedresses-Did your mom wear them?

My grandmothers both wore house dresses, but only in the house.  Never out.  They wore regular dresses when they went out.

I saw that Isaac dress last night, and although I don't think it looked looked as "bad" as a house dress, it was definitely aging on Courtney and the models who wore it.  I can't imagine a young woman choosing that dress.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Mom only had one and wore it if she was behind in the laundry.  After about 1970 I never saw it again.  Now did she wear mini skirts and go go boots, you bet she did and loved coming to my elementary PTA meetings in those outfits.  1968 I had the hottest/prettiest Mom in my first grade class.

@beckyb1012 

Was it the Harper Valley PTA? Woman Wink

Girl, let me tell you.  My twice divorced Mom in 1968 was so excited about going to her first ever PTA meeting for her first child in first grade.  Wearing her white faux leather mini dress with black stocking and white boots.  That song was big time popular at the time and the PTA President started the meeting saying she hoped there were no Mrs. Johnson's at the meeting.  YEP, that was my Mom's 2nd married last name at the time.  She almost walked out.  It has been a funny story all these decades but then it was my little sister's last name not mine!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 

I had a flashy mom too and it's a hard act to follow when your a little kid!

She didn't go the mini route but she was very exotic with her black hair and olive skin in our whitebread neighborhood. Her hair was always perfect and her makeup done...

'Eww your mom is SO pretty!' and then there's me... the unremarkable pasty towhead....

lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My aunts wore them all the time.  They had one pantsuit each and wore if on a picnic and a windy day otherwise those dresses. 

My mom was the one married with 7 kids so she had a variety of stuff she wore.  Dresses not practical.  Later on she liked those short sleeve smocks with pockets and had tons she would  wear with shorts and pants.

My poor mother never had the clothes I do now.  I would think once in awhile she would have liked to had more. Never complained.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Houstonoilers Thanks for showing me what a house dress is!  I have definitely seen them.  I thought they were pajama robes for warm weather.

I saw them offered for sale in regular stores in recent years in the lingerie/pajama section, most recently Lord & Taylor, which I guess recently closed.  Haven't been there in some years.

Esteemed Contributor

@cotton4me I wear cotton t shirt dresses too.  Most pants have the waist in the wrong place for me (short torso), and the pants waistbands dig in in all the wrong places.  Now pants are so stretchy (yeah!), so not a big deal.

Super Contributor

'I'm 76, a retired teacher.  I have always worn, and still do wear, a housedress (also called a house coat) when I got home and over the weekend.  They are made of seersucker and snap down the front.  They don't show wrinkles.  I don't own any "sweats" but do have dressy slacks which I wear when I venture out of the house, which is not often in these times of COVID>

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012     LOVE your story!   i immediately thought of Jeannie C Reilly!   Harper VAlley PTA!   i was 10 and saved my allowance for that record. i knew all the words to her songs!  think i was the only kid in my school who liked country singers.

Trusted Contributor

Isaacs dress is a shirtdress, not a house dress. Two totally different styles.
Honored Contributor

Yes - my grandmother (born 1895) and my mother (born 1915) both wore house dresses.  My aunt (born 1927) also wore them.  They also wore aprons!