Respected Contributor

Housedresses-Did your mom wear them?

So, I caught a glimpse of the Isaac Mizrahi animal print shirt dress tonight, 02/08.  Courtney K and the models look appropriate in the dress, but honestly, it reminded me of my mom and the women of her generation.  They did not really wear jeans or sweatpants or joggers or tee shirts during a typical day.  Instead they wore what was commonly called a housedress.  Not too fussy, probably cotton, not expensive, just practical.  Practical for everyday cleaning, cooking and child care. Does anyone else remember that era and that style of dress?

Honored Contributor

Re: Housedresses-Did your mom wear them?

Oh yes, I never saw mom in pants until she was a senior citizen.  Then I never saw her in a dress again.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

No, my mom worked in an office and dressed up every day. When she was home she wore slacks.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

That’s what my mom wore in the house plus “snap coats” .... they never had a wrinkle & were always ironed .... thanks for bringing back a beautiful memory to my mind ❤️🥰

Respected Contributor

Ha...boy does that bring back memories from the 1960s! My grandmother wore them and had a closet full. My aunt made so many of them for her. My mom wouldn't have been caught dead in anything loose. She had a great figure all her life and worn stuff tight and short. She lived to be 92 and while short and tight left her wardrobe by the age of maybe 70, she was always always stylish.  But my "Busha" was always so soft and cuddly in them🥰

Esteemed Contributor

Oh yes, I remember them well. My mom wore house dresses all the time. They were always colorful & snapped down the front.They were very loose fitting & had patch pockets.

Honored Contributor

Nope!  Mom was an ex-WAC!  Who wore slacks!  Or shorts!  

Honored Contributor

the last person i remember seeing in a house dress was my great grandmother during the early part of the 70s.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My grandma's wore them. One of dh's grandma's wore them. His grandmother who just died a few years ago never wore them. She wore pants up to the very end. And she was in her 90's. 

Honored Contributor

My mother and hers only wore slacks and sweater sets unless they were were going out to dinner.

The grandmother that worked downtown in our family's shoe store wore beautiful knit suits and kid heels.  I only saw her in shorts or slacks when we go to the beach.