Super Contributor

Re: Hosts looking in the monitor

JANE TRACEY does ALL THE TIME. These hosts aren't just looking in the minitor for information, they are checking themselves out. And Carolyn looks always too. 

Valued Contributor

Yes obvious they are looking at themselves, because right away, they are adjusting their clothes, hair, etc.  It is quite clear what they are looking at

Respected Contributor

Lisa was really bad about looking in the monitor. I don't know if Kerstin is looking in the monitor or what she's doing, but she's much worse. She's always looking off to the side instead of looking at the camera while speaking to viewers. Lol, it makes her look shifty and insincere.
Honored Contributor

Kerstin is THE WORST!  She is so consumed with  posing and looking at herself to see how gorgous she is,  it is almost offensive.

Honored Contributor

On more than one occasion (especially during jewelry demonstrations) the viewer will see the Host looking at the monitor and then say, "you can see where the stone or ring (etc) does this or that".  Sometimes the Host will even tell us in a second or two there will be a close-up.  My guess is that's because their monitor is not on delay and they can see the close-up is coming into view for us within seconds.

I think these are all tools needed and used to make it easier for the TV viewer to see what they are buying or want to buy.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Kerstin is THE WORST!  She is so consumed with  posing and looking at herself to see how gorgous she is,  it is almost offensive.

Kirsten is so happy that you were lucky enough to catch her show....

Respected Contributor

This post was silly enough years ago, and someone got so bored they had to go drag it out of the dead file. Wow. It amazes me at what bothers people. Things that most of us barely notice. Who cares if the hosts and vendors are looking in the monitor? I would think that would be a good thing. I want the best view possible of products, and I appreciate them making sure of that.
Valued Contributor

I was able to take a tour at QVC Studio in April. I learned that the live hosts and vendors use a monitor which shows a few second lead time. In order to prepare their remarks for close-up shots, etc. I think some individuals may be more or less effective with this work tool. I also know I couldn't juggle all they have going on.
Honored Contributor

When I become qualified to be a show host and I'm all trained how that is done I will then express an opinion on how well it is being done.

Just like I read so often on this board posters opinions about how nurses should do their job and 99% of the time they are totally incorrect, uneducated and generally clueless. And, yes, I am qualified to make that statement.

Honored Contributor

As I recall, one of the monitors shows the upcoming camera angle / shot.  By looking at it, the host can coordinate what he or she is saying with the camera.  It must be hard to multi-task like that.  But, you know, that's why they're paid the big bucks.  Smiley Happy