Honored Contributor

Re: Host Wearing Denim Jeans

@qshopper712 

An insult to the viewer is talking down to them, explaining over and over WHERE an item can be worn (church, grocery store, and so on, and so on), instead of providing information about the makeup of the garment or the product, instead of showing how a product or item is put together (such a showing seams on a garment), or telling personal stories if there hasn't been an effort to show details about the item on air.

Wearing jeans has absolutely nothing to do with how someone presents an item on QVC or anywhere else.

(I don't believe I've heard the term "blue jeans" for a while.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

The way a male or female host dresses does not insult me.  If they came on set looking the way I'm looking right now then it might be an issue.

Honored Contributor

@guuuus wrote:

Regarding not being hired because you wear a suit has nothing to do with discrimination. You should study and get to know the company to see if you are a good fit and that includes dress codes. His being turned down is probably because he showed he had not done his "homework" well enough.    

@guuuus   Oh, indeed it does.  You cannot discriminate against someone because of the way they dress when they are unaware of the dress code.  I saw a woman fired once for her skirt being too short.  Although no dress code had ever been set forth, and she had no idea, it was found that she was discriminated against. There is an underlying bias in the statement that he was not dressed appropriately.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@guuuus wrote:

Regarding not being hired because you wear a suit has nothing to do with discrimination. You should study and get to know the company to see if you are a good fit and that includes dress codes. His being turned down is probably because he showed he had not done his "homework" well enough.    

Exactly rght @guuuus .

In this age of the internet, companies expect a potential employee to do their research and know something about the company.

That young man made a fatal error that probably could have been avoided.

@Ms tyrion2   That is not true.  Dress codes are not a part of the internet information provided.  What on earth are you saying and why?  I asked a member of my church who is an HR VP . He tells me that is not true and that the HR person most likely had no formal training in how to handle applicants and the person who said that needed to be the one let go, that the only time he would have been informed of a dress code would be at the point he was hired.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@guuuus wrote:

Exactly rght @guuuus .

In this age of the internet, companies expect a potential employee to do their research and know something about the company.

@Ms tyrion2   That is not true.  Dress codes are not a part of the internet information provided.  What on earth are you saying and why?  I asked a neighbor who is an HR VP and he tells me that is not true and if the dress code was not outlined in the job description, there was no way of knowing and that statement shows that the interviewee had a bias against the applicant.  Had that been the case that they dressed casual, once he was hired, he would have told him in a nice way that he did not have to dress in a suit, that their dress is more casual.  

If course it istrue, @Nonametoday .

Business culture is very often discussed.

Why did I say that?  Because it is  a fact whether you want to believe it or not.

When was the last time you researched a company for a job?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@guuuus wrote:

Exactly rght @guuuus .

@Ms tyrion2   That is not true.  Dress codes are not a part of the internet information provided.  What on earth are you saying and why?  I asked a neighbor who is an HR VP and he tells me that is not true and if the dress code was not outlined in the job description, there was no way of knowing and that statement shows that the interviewee had a bias against the applicant.  Had that been the case that they dressed casual, once he was hired, he would have told him in a nice way that he did not have to dress in a suit, that their dress is more casual.  

Why did I say that?  Because it is  a fact whether you want to believe it or not.

@Ms tyrion2   I don't have to.  I asked a member of my community who is a VP in that field with a large corporation.  He told me that is not true, that you cannot discriminate against someone in an interview, that the time dress code is mentioned is after the hire and if the dress code is strict as in waitress job or medical employees who wear uniforms, they do not expect you to wear the uniform to an interview.

He tells me the only time a personnel officer can refuse to hire based on dress is if they are dressed too casually or in an unkempt manner for the job they are applying for.

Honored Contributor

As long as the hosts come on air with their hair and makeup done, I really don't care what they wear as long as it's not too revealing. I have seen AS come on air with greasy, very messy hair and I didn't appreciate when she bent over wearing those tight spandex leggings showing everything her butt had to offer. People laughed, but I though that was a very vulgar display. AS is not important enough to me to be insulted by anything she does, I'll just change the channel.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@guuuus wrote:

Exactly rght @guuuus .

@Ms tyrion2   I don't have to.  I asked a member of my community who is a VP in that field with a large corporation.  He told me that is not true, that you cannot discriminate against someone in an interview, that the time dress code is mentioned is after the hire and if the dress code is strict as in waitress job or medical employees who wear uniforms, they do not expect you to wear the uniform to an interview.

You are misunderstanding me @Nonametoday .

I said you can find out a company's culture on-line.   

...and you should before you go to an interview.

If the interviewer feels you wouldn't fit in with the culture, you don't get hired. Which is what I suspect really happened.

I am now done with this argument.

Esteemed Contributor

@guuuus wrote:

@guuuus   My son did do his "homework " & researched the company.No where at all did it say they were a casual company who preferred perspective employees to show up in jeans. The headhunter who referred him for the interview told my son that they weren't even aware of it. There is absolutely no way he could have known.

The headhunter told my son that they place a lot of people in these type of companies & they always prefer perspective employees to interview dressed in business attire!! They never heard of companies other than technology companies who want to interview people dressed in jeans.Most consider it disrespectful.

Anyway ,my son went on to get a great job that paid more money.He interviewed in a suit.After he was hired he was told to dress casually.Just as the headhunter told him.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

When I started working years ago we had to wear classy business attire. By the time I left we had dress down Fridays.

DH went from suits & ties to jackets no ties,to no jackets, to business casual,to jeans & tee shirts.The exception is when he has a business meeting in NYC every few months. This didn't hinder his ability to do his job. Nor did it interfere with his many promotions.

My point is like it or not we've become a more casual society.I have no problem with hosts wearing jeans.As long as they look good in what they choose to wear.

Six years ago my son, just out of college, went for a job interview in NYC. He was told by the guy who interviewed him that though qualified, he wasn't getting the job because he came dressed in a suit & they're a casual business!! The interviewer wore jeans.

@NicksmomESQ   I think had I been your son, I would have sued him.  That is pure discrimination as I have ever heard it.  People dress the way they feel the interviewee wishes them to dress.  He had no way of knowing if he was not told ahead of time.  What an insult to his intelligence and any workforce.  The very nerve of that jerk telling him he would not hire him because he dressed too nice.  I would not want to work for a disgusting a** like that.

@Nonametoday   That was my initial reaction too. However, my son explained to me that it would not be in his best interests to do so. He is young & has many more working years ahead of him.Word gets around & in the end it would end up hurting his future job prospects.

Everything worked out because he got offered a better job with better pay.After he was hired he was told that he could dress casually.Most employers prefer perspective employees to interview in business attire.Once hired or during the interview they are advised of the company's dress code.

@Ms tyrion2   You can't always tell a company's "culture " on line. My son did extensive research & found nothing. The headhunter who referred him didn't know either.They were never told when the job was placed with them!!

@Nonametoday  Is correct. That's considered discrimination.One of my son's law professors is an employment lawyer.When my son recently told him this story he said it was illegal & he would have had a strong case against against the company in question.He told my son that the proper way to interview is in business attire, unless you're  dealing with a technology company.Upon being hired they can then share their dress code with you.