Occasional Contributor
QVC host don't dress to impress anymore. I think the blue jeans on air is an insult to the viewers as they don't put any effort in what they wear on air and the look comes off as if they are going to the supermarket. Previous host like Lisa Robertson elevated the dark denim and made it look sophisticated and elegant. Please let me know what you all think.
Valued Contributor

Re: Host Wearing Denim Jeans

[ Edited ]

@qshopper712  Good morning!

I turned to the Q the minute after you posted and I see Pat presenting Josie Maran products. It doesn't look like Pat is weating jeans though, but can't be certain as she is still behnd the table. She looks dressed fairly well though. 

If not talking about Pat, maybe the show you were watching had jeans in their lineup? I'm ok with the host wearing something that is being sold during their show. I'd prefer to see it on as many people as possible before I purchase.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@qshopper712 

I worked for a huge international corporation for nearly 40 years.  I wore suits and heels all the time for the first 20 years. Then we went to business casual and I wore slacks...then we went to casual and we wore jeans. It didn't change my performance and it sure didn't change the performance of people in departments who reported to me.  

I remember buying my first pair of jeans in high school in the 60s. I had gone to private school until I was a junior and wore uniforms.  Those jeans were liberating at the time.  

The world has changed.   Jeans are no longer considered shabby clothes. As for me, I really don't care what they wear.  It's between them and their employer.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The average office attire has changed drastically in the last five plus years. When I originally started working in 1998, suits, skirts and heels were what everyone wore. We are a khaki and denim company now. Very rarely is everyone fully dressed up unless we have a major presentation with a potential client.  We are not the only company that has changed. There are exceptions but I would say on average most corporations have changed the requirements for what people wear to work.   Look at what they sell here and on HSN. Even go to your high end department stores, if you still have one in your area you are lucky, and it is hard to find a normal blouse or an average matching suit. The tech boom changed how companies operate, how people dress, implemented the flex time, flexible starting hours, making telecommuting more accessible, and the open office.   With exception to the open office, I actually support all the other changes that have occurred. 

*Edited to add some punction and words to make the statement read clearly and to add, I have worked for the same company the entire 21 years.  Nothing blew my mind more than when the president who always wore a suit and tie, even on casual Fridays, starting coming into the office in jeans! But I think that moment made everyone realize it was okay to change, even though it felt weird at first to go more casual.

Valued Contributor

Ugh. One of those mornings where posting and editing is a struggle. I guess I got lucky by being able to edit once already lol...

Anyway, just wanted to add that even if not selling jeans I am "ok" with that too. There are lots of shows on the Q that are about cooking/cleaning/gardening. I don't think it would be practical to be really dressed up for those shows. 

Jeans can be styled to be more dressy, yes. They can also be super practical. I like that they are versatile.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess I'm not too easily insulted.......or elevated. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qshopper712  The way I see it is that anyone who dresses to impress is saying that they value the opinion of others more than being themselves and thus fake and lacking in self esteem!!  Being insulted by what a host wears seems to be your personal issue and not the norm.

It's one thing to have to dress a certain way if you choose to work at a place that requires it but like @CalminHeart  stated it did not change anyone's performance on the job.  I had the same experience where I worked.  When the antiquated dress code became relaxed allowing jeans it was much more relaxing to work.  

The early years of QVC had Stepford cookie cutter hosts who were too fake but now they can actually be themselves for the most part instead of conforming.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's great they wear jeans. My clothing never affected the way I did my job. All my life I had jobs where I could wear jeans and I'm thankful because I didn't have to spend huge amounts of money or spend entire weekends looking for a new outfit. When people are comfortable I think they are more productive. Plus in summer in Arizona it's over 100 degrees for 5 months a year. Who wants to dress up when it's that hot? It's great to get up in the morning, put on a pair of jeans, tee shirt and sneakers and be out the door. In fact whenever I interviewed for a job at another company dress code played a major factor in my decision. One job I interviewed at required women wear a dress, heels, panty hose etc. I said no thank you. People can look just as nice wearing jeans as they can in a ball gown. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem with the hosts wearing jeans.  They always look nice and polished when they do.

Valued Contributor

True as others have said here, jeans have become the every day work pants rather than slacks. Probably the last five years of my job before I retired I was wearing jeans every day, but if a customer was in I would dress it up a little bit, with darker jeans. Nicer blouse.