Respected Contributor

@shoekitty, I wish I could just listen to the content of people's statements but unfortunately, when I hear a word being mispronounced or used incorrectly, I find myself focusing on that and it's distracting to the point where I momentarily lose focus on what they're saying. Of course I don't say anything to the person but I find myself correcting them in my mind.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@shoekitty, I wish I could just listen to the content of people's statements but unfortunately, when I hear a word being mispronounced or used incorrectly, I find myself focusing on that and it's distracting to the point where I momentarily lose focus on what they're saying. Of course I don't say anything to the person but I find myself correcting them in my mind.

shoekitty wrote

@Texasmouse

Truthfully, I think most of us do that time to time. I get distracted especially when someone uses a word totally out of context.  However, I have seen people correct the person, over and over publically.  There was this one lady in our church group who was notorious for that.  That woman, corrected the speaking person over and over.  You could see the people getting frustrated.  Finally, someone stepped forward, and said, "oh please, finish your story, I am interested in what you are saying" .LOL!  No that didn't stop her totally, but it sure made her think and step back a few inches!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

My sister is one of those "know it alls" that makes her superiority known by correcting others in the middle of their sentences!!  Many avoid her like the plague because of it!! Sometimes I mess with her mind by deliberately using poor grammar.  Who cares as long as you can understand what they are saying??  And yes I often mentally correct in my mind since the nuns pounded in good grammar but I would never want to actually correct anyone as that is the height of all rudeness and rudeness is way worse than a few grammar errors!!

Honored Contributor

My great big major favorite raptozical grammar experience on QVC is when a poster descends on a show host about some minutiae, and is actually incorrect regarding the criticism being leveled!

There are posters here who do in fact have the background/training to be aware of the formal structure of traditional English, but who rarely if ever flaunt their knowledge at the expense of posters. OP really is a Grammar Queen, but rarely comments except when addressing egregious issues.

Even more rare here are "experts" in the numerous sounds of Amercan English and all of their subtleties and nuances. 

Yet these "correction" posts proliferate!

American English is a language in a state of constant transition, whether we old timers like it or not. The safest rule is still this- be VERY cautious about pointing out a mistake in someone else unless you are totally certain that you are responsilate in perfection yourself!

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I would never want to actually correct anyone as that is the height of all rudeness and rudeness is way worse than a few grammar errors!!

I want so bad to agree with you, and I actually react the same as you do and move along, BUT I am realizing more and more that as soon as we begin going along, the next controversial subject will most likely be worse than the last.  It's amazing how we are so accepting that the lower elements of society are dragging the rest of us down with them, instead of inspiring them to do better.  Bummer.   

Valued Contributor

The hosts should all use proper grammar. Several of them  always say "me and my husband" and other assorted assaults on the English language. Sorry, but it is their job to speak, so they should have a working knowledge of grammar. Slip ups occur, no one is perfect. But these are ongoing. Apparently the producers are also grammar impaired, since they don't correct them either.

Shawn is a favored host, much like Lisa, so don't expect anything to change with her. Her made up words and performances will continue until a favored vendor objects.

Respected Contributor

The first time I ever heard anyone say I's (and I cringed) was Teresa on Real Housewives of NJ.  I figured she was trying to sound smart lol

Esteemed Contributor

They all have degrees, except Jacque I believe, and have had Engl 101 and Junior English, so we should expect correct English from them. They're professionals and are paid very well. It's not the nightly news, but something is expected of them and that's very little.  

Trusted Contributor

I don't think it's too much to ask of professionals to use correct English.  A few of the Q hosts would do well with some grammar tutoring. 

Esteemed Contributor

If I hear "For you and I" or "I seen" or "He has went" again, I just may croak!  On Friday, a Jeopardy contestant mispronounced St. Thomas Aquinas. He said "Aqua-ness," as if he were somehow related to that infamous Scottish loch monster. He got credit for it so I was glad that he lost Final Jeopardy. He didn't deserve to win.