Honored Contributor

I like to start with something that catches my eye, like artwork, a pillow, or textiles. Then I can pull colors from there. This appeals to me.{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

My BR is the teal color, my LR/DR is the gold color, and my bathroom is the green color.

Penelope Organic Duvet Cover & Sham - Twilight Blue

I like this one too.

Ana Paisley Duvet Cover & Sham

You can update (even without painting) just by changing out some rugs, pillows, slipcovers, towels, etc. with new patterns and color combinations.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with other posters -- choose colors you like! I had my home professionally painted a few years ago and am still in love with the colors. Even though gray is allegedly "fashionable" now I can't stand it and refuse to have even one wall of it in my home.

Benjamin Moore paints in eggshell finish are all I use.

Anyone ever see the movie, "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House?" There is a scene where Myrna Loy is telling the painters what color she wants each room painted. She goes into great detail describing the nuances of her heart's desire....then the painter says to his helper, "red, yellow, blue, green."

Super Contributor
You should use colors that make you feel happy. .........I enjoy a calming feel so I had my entire home painted a neutral light sage green with a light taupe woodwork trim ........ my floors are all a walnut wood through out........I like the flow of the same colors and tones through out......with neutral earth tone colors as accents...........This makes me happy.........so find your colors and start there..........it is your home and your decision..........whatever you pick will be right for you.
Honored Contributor

We still have the paint the builder used to finish our home - kiliam beige throughout. I love the softness of this color and I like having one color throughout the house. All the trim and the ceilings are pure white. In the bedroom the decor is beige/dark brown and turq. In the guest room powder blue , den - navy blue. the main BR is done in a seashell motif with the pinks , peaches and sea water blues that go with that.

Esteemed Contributor

Go with what suits your eye and your soul.

Also keep in mind how many pieces of furniture, artwork, etc., would have to be recovered/replaced, if you went with a totally different color palatte.

Since i prefer wide, open and large spaces, I tend to keep the paint shades light and prefer something in the light sage family. As with others, there is no love for gray here.

(I have a friend who was married to a self-help celebrity and every wall in their home was painted black, per his orders. OMG!)

Having moved to a new state upon retirement in 2013, we are currently in a rental. The living room is a dark flesh colored paint - yuck! I simply cannot bear this paint, but have no choice but to live with it. One bedroom is dark, dark green, the second a dark, dark blue and the third is medium brown. What I want to say is that I'm really unhappy in this little ranch style house not only because it's small, but becasue all of the paint chosen by the owner must have been on sale! LOL!

Go with your soul!

Honored Contributor
Years ago I found a color I love and it has been on the walls of most of the main rooms in the last 3 houses that I've owned. It's a peachy tan color; it looks beige at night but pale pink in bright light. It's very neutral and goes well with my Southwestern pastels. I do have an accent wall in 2 rooms that is the mauve to which our Sandia Mountains turn most evenings for 7 or 8 minutes at sunset.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

HGTV and Sherwin Williams have teamed up to create some palettes that I really like. You can see them on the HGTV site and the Sherwin Williams stores have the paper versions. They gave me some good ideas about using coordinating colors so the rooms flow.

Regular Contributor
AGV, You might want to try Benjamin Moore's web site. They have created a pallet of colors that all work. Candace Olson even said just pick any four without looking and they will still look perfect in your home. They have some really good videos.
Honored Contributor

I hired a decorator for the first time in my life. I have a limited amount of money to spend and a long list of things that need to be done. I'm hoping that the money I spend on a decorator will be offset, to some degree, by the money I'll save using their resources. My appointment is Monday 1/5. I'm curious to see what paint colors they suggest. My entire first floor is visible from the front door, so it needs to look cohesive. A friend of mine just did her family room in a mushroom color.. kind of khaki/gray. Her room looked beautiful, but that color pallet will be a hard sell where my husband is concerned.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I am slowly working towards having the interior of my home painted all one color. I probably started five years ago and now just have bedrooms left. I chose a very light silvery sage and am very happy with it. It reads color, but at the same time is very neutral and calming and is a nice change from the taupe that was at one time so popular.