Valued Contributor

High low tops, shark bite tops etc

I have tried on these tops before.  It seems to be a style that is going to be here for awhile.  For some reason when I try these on, the first thing that strikes me when I look in the mirror is "maternity top".  Is there a brand out there that is figure flattering that you can recommend?

Respected Contributor

Re: High low tops, shark bite tops etc

You might need to buy a smaller size and see if that looks better.

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure they all look bad - regardless of the brand. Sizing down only makes over-sized clothes smaller; it does not even out the hemlines. lol

Honored Contributor

I agree. You need to watch the fit through the waist. Being a little girl with big boobs myself I understand how drapey tops can add volume and make you look pregnant
Esteemed Contributor

I like them and I usually wear with a belt. I have a collection of 80's belts that are stretch.

Trusted Contributor

I agree about how they can look!  I look for the longer tops that hug the body more and fit around the hips!  They can actually be very flattering!!Woman Wink

Super Contributor

@Gayle2 wrote:

I have tried on these tops before.  It seems to be a style that is going to be here for awhile.  For some reason when I try these on, the first thing that strikes me when I look in the mirror is "maternity top".  Is there a brand out there that is figure flattering that you can recommend?

@Gayle2

The hi-low and shark hem is only how the garment is hemmed.  Many tops and dresses in these styles are cut very close to the body, in some cases in a column style.  I am not sure that the Q carries them, but brick and mortar store do. And yes, they have been around for 5+ years at least, and I agree they are not going any where for awhile.  If you go to the Nordstrom website and put high low sweater in the search box, you will see lots of non maternity sweaters, just to give you ideas.  

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:
I agree. You need to watch the fit through the waist. Being a little girl with big boobs myself I understand how drapey tops can add volume and make you look pregnant

Yes. And another problem is that such tops require high-quality fabric to drape well. In contrast, most of the qQVC clothes use cheap fabrics which tend to stick out, and in smart-bite hems, in particular, that makes women look hippy. Almost all of the logo clothes, for example, make hips look big. 

Honored Contributor

@Newgate
Exactly! Being 5'2 I can't wear a straight hem tunic but I can wear a shark bite or high low depending on the fit
Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:
@Newgate
Exactly! Being 5'2 I can't wear a straight hem tunic but I can wear a shark bite or high low depending on the fit

Same problem here. I'm almost 5'1", just a smidge shorter.  Those shark bite and hi/lo hems aren't good on me.  I think you need to be tall and slim for the look not to be "odd".  Some of the hosts who try wearing them over leggings really do not look good IMHO.  Amy, on the other hand, looks very good in the longer, fuller tops, but then her baby is due soon. And she looks great in

almost anything anyway.