Respected Contributor

Re: Hey Susan, it's NOT "lenth"

On 3/5/2015 ibb38 said:
On 3/5/2015 Kathleen said:
On 3/5/2015 handygal said: If you want a tutorial on a New Yawk accent, tune in to Joy Mangano next time she's on HSN. Another one who's laughing all the way to the bank, accent and all!

As a native NYer, I don't think we have an accent.

But - New Jersey (anywhere), Philadelphia, Cleveland, anywhere in the south ... those are accents! {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

{#emotions_dlg.lol} I agree with you, Brooklyn-ite/LI'er here!!!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Born and raised Long Islander here, too! Whut accent?

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Super Contributor

I don't get too worked up over it. English is a living language, evolving and changing all of the time. The 'rules' that people sometimes go to the mat over were often 'wrong' in previous times, and our ways may very well seem silly in a few centuries.
Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 hyacinth003 said:
On 3/5/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 3/5/2015 hyacinth003 said:

There ARE regional accents, alternative pronunciations, and there is WRONG!

Wondering if saying "impordant" instead of "important" falls into alternative pronunciation? Since there is no "d" in the word, I may call it a regional WRONG pronunciation!

There are WRONG ways to pronounce things. My fingernails on chalkboard is EMEL for email, felure for failure, avelable for available, etc.

I have heard people of both genders, all races, and every region MISPRONOUNCE the "ai" sound and replace it with an "e." My theory remains that it is lazy speech.

It may be hard for some to acknowledge, but there are some things that are just WRONG.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

You forgot when a certain vendor selling caramel apples, says carmel every time she is on air. Like nails on a chalkboard. However, I guess in the scheme of things it is minor...

If someone really wants to lose a regional accent, they can go to speech classes to lose it. I take it Susan Graver likes her accent and has no desire to speak without it.

Was listening to the radio yesterday afternoon. A male host kept saying EMEL to the point I had to turn it off!!!

I just can't understand how the "ai" sound got twisted around to an "e" sound. It is FAIRLY recent to my notice.

I don't know if it is just me, or my Catholic school education. They spent a LOT of time on the correct way to use the English language, and expected us to do the same!!

Hyacinth

Yes, and we were taught NOT to have a regional accent. If we started picking one up we had to go to Speech classes and learn to speak without one.

Those were the days....Smile

Honored Contributor

And then there's always ""nuclear"".

Respected Contributor

That's like mi-am-ah for Miami. My mom does it and I have no idea why. It's almost like back in the 50's they pronounced it that way to seem more alluring. I noticed Willard Scott said the same thing on his Smuckers birthday thing, lol.
Super Contributor

On 3/5/2015 redngold said:
On 3/5/2015 VCamp2748 said:

I wonder what "lenth" of time SG laughs when she counts her money?

Yes, she does have a following for her frumpy and dumpy clothing.

Why would you watch anyone selling frumpy and dumpy clothes Ms. Manners? Bored much today?

Super Contributor

On 3/5/2015 lovesbe said:

Why would you watch anyone selling frumpy and dumpy clothes Ms. Manners? Bored much today?

Is that any of your business or concern? Nope.

Super Contributor

On 3/5/2015 ibb38 said:

It always amazes me how nasty an OP can get when they don't get posters agreeing with them. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

It's irrelevant to me if other posters agree. However, if you think I will not post "in kind" when there are rude responses, think again.

But your rude opinion is perfectly fine? You started the post, remember and with a rude comment.Please don't get your nose out of joint when someone does not agree with you.

Super Contributor

On 3/5/2015 lovesbe said:

Is that any of your business or concern? Nope.

Do you even read what you write? Susan"s way of talking is really none of your business or concern, nope it is not. Don't be a crybaby , you started this thread.

Regular Contributor

Yes that is the way we pronounce it with a New York accent!