Trusted Contributor

Re: Hey Susan, it's NOT "lenth"

Hey OP.....have you ever bothered to stop and think that she isn't lazy??

Most New Yorker's/North Jersey people say "idear" instead of "idea".

And people from Philly say "worder" instead of "water".

Don't knock someone for the way they talk.

Grow up, already.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/6/2015 handygal said: I have relatives in Chicago, Boston and Memphis. Each region has its own "accent", and we kid each other about it, all in good fun. One could either say these differences are charming or annoying, depending on how you want to look at it. I choose the former.

Same here, handy. I've always enjoyed hearing different accents and found them "charming."

Super Contributor

On 3/6/2015 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 3/5/2015 Porcelain said:

The original poster has very few posts to her name. I assume she had no idea about the history of Susan Graver-slamming threads in this forum.

RednGold, just about every time Susan appears on QVC, someone starts a thread complaining about some aspect of her performance. To those who have witnessed it happening repeatedly, your thread comes across as another pile on.

Meantime, you were just sharing a pet peeve she triggered for you, and everyone reacted like you were suggesting she be boiled in oil.

To me, this country is way too big to consider any regional dialect to be wrong. And I'm from the midwest. So I pronounce my vowels like my nose is pinched shut. Dohntcha Know.

I disagree. The responses were based on the OPs tone in her opening post and her combativeness and snide responses to everyone who disagreed with her regardless how the disagreement was expressed.

This OPs post and escalating nasty responses sure bring to mind another poster who no longer participates here....or does she?

I see. So I'm supposed to be sugar and spice regardless? You all have the right to be snide and rude and I'm supposed to smile and accept it? That is so NOT going to happen.

Frequent Contributor

On 3/6/2015 redngold said:

I see. So I'm supposed to be sugar and spice regardless? You all have the right to be snide and rude and I'm supposed to smile and accept it? That is so NOT going to happen.

Wasn't your original post kind of snide correcting a pronunciation that is correct and acceptable, simply because you don't like it? If you are going to troll be prepared for what you catch.

Trusted Contributor

So for the past three minutes, I've said the word over and over and over out loud. I hear no G whatsoever. LenGth? Honestly, I've never, ever heard it pronounced like that, but I'm from LI and you know we TAWK funny. I taught elementary school for years and cannot recall a single time I taught the kids to pronounce that word as lenGth. The next thing you'll be telling us is it's an OR-ange rather than an Ah-range. LOL!!! Hey, we even pronounce idea as I-DEER and dollar as doll-uh. SG does have an exaggerated NY accent, so yes, if you're not used to it, it may be chalk on the chalkboard for you. By the way, very few people say, "LAWN-GUY-LAND." I never heard it said that way in my house nor do I know anyone other than a couple of real old timers who say it that way. Both those people had European parents who spoke German and Yiddish and I think they were used to the hard G sound in some words. Do you want to AX anymore questions? Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 3/6/2015 Jaspersmom said:

So for the past three minutes, I've said the word over and over and over out loud. I hear no G whatsoever. LenGth? Honestly, I've never, ever heard it pronounced like that, but I'm from LI and you know we TAWK funny. I taught elementary school for years and cannot recall a single time I taught the kids to pronounce that word as lenGth. The next thing you'll be telling us is it's an OR-ange rather than an Ah-range. LOL!!! Hey, we even pronounce idea as I-DEER and dollar as doll-uh. SG does have an exaggerated NY accent, so yes, if you're not used to it, it may be chalk on the chalkboard for you. By the way, very few people say, "LAWN-GUY-LAND." I never heard it said that way in my house nor do I know anyone other than a couple of real old timers who say it that way. Both those people had European parents who spoke German and Yiddish and I think they were used to the hard G sound in some words. Do you want to AX anymore questions? Smiley Happy

I don't live on the east coast, so I've never heard it pronounced that way. To my ear it sounded far too much like the lazy pronunciations I hear of other words. Thank you for the humorous post!

Respected Contributor

On 3/6/2015 Rabid1 said:

Wasn't your original post kind of snide correcting a pronunciation that is correct and acceptable, simply because you don't like it? If you are going to troll be prepared for what you catch.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

I spend a lot of time in Italy and they tell me people from the U.S. speak American not English and they find all American accents charming and try to guess where people are from and imitate the words. They have my NJ accent pretty good and it is good natured fun. Some Italians can not understand people from different regions of Italy but it doesn't irritate them....but then, the Italians have a different way of looking at life and they live longer than us. So lighten up...SG is just making a living....
Esteemed Contributor

I grew up in NYC saying "liberry" (it wasn't until I was much older that I learned it was "library". New Yawkers have problems with their "r".

I'm Jewish and belong to a temple in Oxnard, CA. I went to Hebrew school in NYC when I was 6 yrs old til 8 yrs old. Even in Hebrew, the pronunciation from East Coast to West Coast is different.

A few years ago, my roomie was trying to teach me words in Spanish ---- I could not pronounce it.

All our regional accents and foreign accents make us more interesting.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/6/2015 Jaspersmom said:

I'm from LI as well- if I ever say "LAWN-GUY-LAND" I'm just goofing around with my friends/family! I think SG's accent is pretty 'normal' for NY though- Adrienne Arpel and Jackie Schechter from hsn are much more exaggerated imo!