Valued Contributor

Re: Hey Susan, it's NOT "lenth"

On 3/5/2015 redngold said:
On 3/5/2015 pink dogwood said:

First, you're mixing apples and oranges comparing pronunciation of 'lenGth' and 'asked' vs 'aksed'.

Susan Speaks with a strong NY accent. I'm not bothered by how she pronounces some words. She's quite aware of the correct spelling. This comment about Susan has come up time and time again. Bothers the heck out of me.

Someone who says 'asked' vs 'aksed' is either dyslexic or illiterate.

No mixing whatsoever. They are both lazy mispronunciations, although I understand the effort by some to excuse it as "regional dialect"!!

Don't let the facts confuse you........
Super Contributor

On 3/5/2015 ibb38 said:
On 3/5/2015 Carmie said:
On 3/5/2015 lovesbe said:
On 3/5/2015 ibb38 said:

It always amazes me how nasty an OP can get when they don't get posters agreeing with them. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

It's irrelevant to me if other posters agree. However, if you think I will not post "in kind" when there are rude responses, think again.

But your rude opinion is perfectly fine? You started the post, remember and with a rude comment.Please don't get your nose out of joint when someone does not agree with you.

My post was not directed at any one of you, it was directed to SG. Many of you chose to take offense as if my comments about SG were directed to you personally. I find that almost as puzzling as the fact that you all seem to believe you can take offense and state your personal offense and opinion of something that was NOT directed to you but I'm not allowed to state my opinion. For the umpteenth time, I don't care if some, any all or none of you agree with me. I didn't start this thread as a popularity contest. I started it on the off chance SG might read it or be alerted to it and would thus understand her "version" of the word doesn't do her any favors as a professional woman representing her brand.

So you come to a public forum and post a message to a vendor that you meant to be private between you and SG?

I suggest that you go to her Facebook page or send her an e-mail and tell her what she is doing wrong. I am sure she would appreciate your helpfulness, And because she would have your real name, she could personally thank you for your help.

That way of communication would spare you all of the rude feedback you get from QVC posters.

{#emotions_dlg.devil2} Carmela

And therein lies the rub - the OP's anonymity ....

This coming from the ibb38. Not anonymous at all! Such hypocrisy.

Trusted Contributor

To your ears it may sound wrong. I am from the same area as SG and I also pronounce it as she does. That's why it doesn't sound wrong or illiterate to me or many others on these boards who hale from the same area. I know you don't want to believe that some of these so called mispronounciations are not regional, but they are. I no longer live in my original home town and do try to think twice before I pronounce certain words to avoid the mocking which I have experienced, but at my age, old habits are hard to break. I think mocking someone for their regional pronunciations makes no sense. Perhaps you pronounce things that don't sound 'right' to me. I would t criticize you for it because it's either a function of being stupid, illiterate or regional.......none of which deserves criticism.
Esteemed Contributor

Did you know NJ accent was voted the most charming among accents and we say lenth too....we know there is a Gee
Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 faeriemoon said:

Uh, oh. Someone who was proven wrong is getting pi$$y.{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

On 3/5/2015 K9buddy said: To your ears it may sound wrong. I am from the same area as SG and I also pronounce it as she does. That's why it doesn't sound wrong or illiterate to me or many others on these boards who hale from the same area. I know you don't want to believe that some of these so called mispronounciations are not regional, but they are. I no longer live in my original home town and do try to think twice before I pronounce certain words to avoid the mocking which I have experienced, but at my age, old habits are hard to break. I think mocking someone for their regional pronunciations makes no sense. Perhaps you pronounce things that don't sound 'right' to me. I would t criticize you for it because it's either a function of being stupid, illiterate or regional.......none of which deserves criticism.

Thank you for your post, K9buddy, and thank you for calling me to task in a civil manner. I appreciate it. I stand corrected.

Respected Contributor

I don't like to hear ""lenth"" either.

Super Contributor

It's pronounced ""lenGTH"". It's like nails down a chalkboard every time she mispronounces length. It's like the laziness of saying ""aksed"" instead of the proper ""asked"".

Ugh.

Maybe you should travel around the country more to learn regional accents and that everyone does not have to speak as you do. Maybe they would not like the way you speak either.

Occasional Contributor

I say 'lenth' as well. I'm on Long Island. To pronounce the g, I would have to try and it still comes out 'lang th'.
Honored Contributor

It's not how I say it, but it doesn't bother me.