Valued Contributor

Here's how I solved my unworkable zipper problems on the new A257380 cardis

I'm posting this here as well as at Louis' website so more can see it if you have this problem.

At Louis' blog I wrote:

I wanted you to know what happened with my unworkable zippers on my 2 new zip front cardigans ~ A257380. I ordered a product called "Zipper-Ease Pencil Type Zipper Wax Lubricant" from a company through Amazon. Today I laid the cardigan out on the ironing board zipped up with a heavy brown paper bag directly under the zipper - just in case. First I carefully pinned ALL WK fabric next to the zipper back and away from the zipper out of the way - both inside fabric AND outside fabric. With the teeth closed I rubbed this "pencil" along the teeth at the bottom of the zipper only up the zipper about 4 inches - my problem area. I had read in a review on Amazon that the zipper might require a little heat after application from your hairdryer to get the "pencil" material to melt in fully over the zipper teeth. I hit the zipper both sides for about 15 seconds a side with the hot air. Then I opened the zipper and did another few seconds with the hair blower on the open teeth. Holy Smokes, the zipper starts and glides smoothly like a Champ now! Every single time. I'm NOT going to recommend the hair blower part, since the company just tells you to rub the pencil "lightly up and down the zipper teeth." and that it "will not stain or soil fabrics" - because the zipper tape on the nutmeg definitely turned a little darker from "bleeding" into the tape after I put the heat to it.

But this is not a problem for me in any way since the WK placket, which I had carefully - this is important - pinned away both inside and outside the sweater before applying to keep anything off from the whisper knit - completely hides the zipper tape whether the sweater is worn open or worn zipped up. In future I will try skipping the hair blower part.... PHEW!!!! I'm so happy to have solved this problem! And boy, this "pencil" is a product, like other reviews at Amazon noted, that I do not want my household to be without. So now my two cardigans are not only gorgeous and chic .... but also problem free! Smiley Happy"

Linea Ladies: I'd highly recommend this zipper pencil lubricant product. It's made by a company called The A.G.S. Company out of Muskegon, Michigan. It only cost $3.00 for the "pencil" and I DID have to pay $2.05 shipping....not covered by my Prime membership. Just don't add the heat from the blow-dryer part like I did based on an Amazon review. That is unless you have a heavy duty stuck zipper on an item you absolutely don't mind if there is any bleed through as to the fabric directly surrounding the zipper teeth. It has a slight oil-like smell to it, but only if I hold the "pencil" close to my nose. And it only takes a very small amount of the product to work. This sure worked better than soap, candle wax, and bees wax for me!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Here's how I solved my unworkable zipper problems on the new A257380 cardis

Thanks for the update TheOwl. My two cardigans were fine, but I felt for those who had problems because these are stellar in design. I was finally able to wear one this week with the matching tank and I was so comfortable all day and felt so chic. I'm going to pick up some of this lubricant to have on hand- sounds like a very handy item to have around.

Enjoy your cardigans!

Valued Contributor

Thanks anniebethsmom ! I'm pretty excited about all the uses I am planning for these cardigans! Right now my favorite is zipped all the way up over a turtleneck and under different boiled wool jackets I already have. But now that the zippers are all fixed I'm going to play around with ways to wear and enjoy it unzipped also Smiley Happy

This pencil worked like a magic wand!

Valued Contributor

That is SO interesting and good info Owl!! Thanks for taking time to share.

Super Contributor

Brilliant. I just ordered the pencils for a D.B. raincoat that sticks and anything else that comes along. Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

It's a good product to have on hand, I found it on Amazon last winter and I used it on the zipper of a pair of brand new boots. Worked like a charm.

Trusted Contributor

Gosh, that sounds like a lot of trouble. I returned mine because there are plenty of other WK cardigans & tops I like. Just lazy I guess!
Trusted Contributor

Another zipper fix is a graphite pencil. It's a very good lubricant for zippers.

Valued Contributor

Thanks crdlb. I'll add it to the arsenal Smiley Happy

And helping, it only sounds like a lot of work because I was long-winded and detailed in explaining it Smiley Happy I absolutely love getting in and solving a simple (or a complex) problem when one pops up around something I like and care about. I'll be using these two sweaters in a lot of ways as winter comes on, and may be enjoying them even more than some of my other sweaters just because it was so fun to solve this problem Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I just started buying Linea not long ago after reading the raves of the good ladies here. Love the line!