Honored Contributor

Re: Help plus size ladies ... I need a formal gown. (update)

Thank you everyone for your help! I found one today on the sale rack at the bridal store -- happy dance it was $125 w/alterations. Hopefully when I go back tomorrow with the right undergarments it will be perfect!

This is kinda the dress:

image.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: Help plus size ladies ... I need a formal gown

I would wear the tea length dress..Black Tie doesn't strictly mean floor legnth any more.

Or I would rent a dress.Save your money!

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

Who made the rule that only a full length gown is 'black tie' ??

I do not believe it is the (present day) rule.

The OP stated the bride is her Godchild and wanted her to wear a long gown.

Nope; nothing about a gown. Just 'black tie'. That's why I'm a bit baffled. I suspect the OP will get there and very few women will be wearing full length gowns...

But having said that I'm glad she found one so reasonably priced!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

About 20 years ago a women I worked with (and was very friendly with) invited hubby and I to her daughter's black tie wedding.  I had a gown (the one I wore to my DD's wedding) but my husband had to rent a tuxedo.  Between the cost of the tuxedo, the gift and a night at the hotel (too far to drive home late at night) it was a considerable expense so imagine my outrage when we were seated at the family table and the gentleman next to me was wearing a brown plaid jacket. 

I had smoke coming out of my ears because my husband's black suit would have served him quite well and there were plenty of women there who were wearing cocktail length dresses.

Maria

Honored Contributor

Formal doesn't always mean a long dress for women. I think it has more to do w/ what the men wear. Another place for long dresses is consignment shops.

Esteemed Contributor

OP- glad you were able to find what you were looking for at a reasonable price.  Yay!!!