Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help plus size ladies ... I need a formal gown

I have three words for you.  NORDSTROMS! NORDSTROMS! NORSTROMS!    In the past few years I have had several black tie weddings and other black tie occasions all with the same group of friends.  As a Plus size I have purchased all my dresses there either in the store or on line.  Don't forget shipping is FREE both ways.  Look on line and order several dresses that you want to try.  

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1---If your goddaughter asked you, you definitely have to do it her way.  Throw in she is also you niece, if you didn't you would be in big trouble!!!!!! (throw in a happy face).   

Nordstrom's is the best for beautiful formal wear.   Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.  Congratulations to the Bride and Groom.  ----------tedEbear

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, some may scoff at this but the first place I always look is ROSS. I find they have rarely let me down when I need something I will wear maybe once. They have formal dresses in plus sizes. I know because I used to be 26/28. They usually get stuff in on Tuesday. If I come up short I try again the next week. Granted, its not a huge selection,but they rarely have multiples so you won t run into your dress on another woman.  I loved Lane Bryant but they were pricey for a one wear dress. Hope you find a lovely dress.

Respected Contributor

How about some of the higher end consignment shops or even thrift stores?  You never know what you'll find. With what you save you can get it altered and cleaned.

Esteemed Contributor

You might want to go to Macy's or another upscale store online.  They carry many that you will not find in the store in your size. 

I like BonTon.  They carry the same brands but different styles.  No tax, no shipping over $75 and you sign up for emails and get a $50 off a $100 purchase often!  Good on regular and sale prices.

Valued Contributor

Have you tried Dillards?  They have some on their website that look great.

Honored Contributor

Who made the rule that only a full length gown is 'black tie' ??

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Who made the rule that only a full length gown is 'black tie' ??

I do not believe it is the (present day) rule.

The OP stated the bride is her Godchild and wanted her to wear a long gown.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I've been to every store in my area other than bridal shop.

I was planning on wearing to my nieces upcoming wedding a tea length/jacket dress (I had the gown from my sons wedding cut to tea length).

Well, my niece informed me her wedding is black tie (ugh!) formal. Every dress I've seen even online is $200-350 range. I hate buying online although I know my size (16-18 on everyday clothes).

I am looking for a place I can go and try on dresses vs ordering several online. Suggestions please.  I hardly understand brides these days!

(I'm certainly not happy with this as our airfare, hotel, car rental is already over $600 and we didn't even get to the gift or having to rent spouse tuxedo!)

That's fine for black tie. I've rarely seen anyone wear a full-length gown to a  black tie wedding aside from the bride and the ladies in the wedding party.

And frankly, if she's a worthy niece, she wants you there in a gunny sack vs not having you there at all or making you spend an uncomfortable amount of money. Or you can show up wearing whatever you want carrying an envelope of cash and tell her you thought she'd rather have the money you'd otherwise have spent on a dress.

Between airfare, hotel, and the bridesmaid dress and accessories, I spent $1200 to be in my friend's wedding in the bride's home state. I'm just glad that destination weddings became a thing after most of my friends were already married. If I ever go to the Bahamas, it will be for my own honeymoon, not someone else's wedding.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue

Oh I wish she would have chose a destination wedding!!! I'd go in a heartbeat...and enjoy!

My boys wish that too! She's worth every $$$$ I've spent so far over these 16 months of planning (thank god she understood I did not want to go to Vegas for the bachelorette party!)

I've been home about 13x's since this wedding planning began and loved every minute of being included!!!