Honored Contributor

Re: Help plus size ladies ... I need a formal gown

@homedecor1

There are a lot from Nordstrom in the $218 range, but I listed the more inexpensive options first.  If you browse online first, you can check out which ones are in stock at your store.  If you do rebates programs like Mr. Rebates or Ebates, you can always try on in store, and order from the computer to get some cash back.

Super Contributor

I say wear the tea length - it is formal in my mind.  I'm sure it will look lovely.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Honored Contributor

I sometimes think my mind is slipping! I just asked a friend who attends a lot of evening affairs about bridal stores near us. She told me there is one less than 5 mi away -- duh, I pass that shopping center almost everyday and never noticed it!

im checking out Nordstroms online -- this whole thing is so annoying me!!!! Deep breaths because I love her like a daughter so my new mantra "deep breaths!"

thanks so so much ladies!

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1----If the wedding is not WHITE TIE, Just BLACK TIE, your DH does not need a tuxedo and you don't need a long formal.  What color is your TEA LENGTH dress?  Does DH have a black or dark navy suit, either is appropriate.

WHITE TIE is Mandatory formal dressing, black tie, black tie welcome,black tie optional all have optional dressing requirements.    When is the wedding?  If Feb or March, you may not be able to get a dress on you girl weekend.  You might also talk to your sister and see what she plans on wearing.  Just have alot of fun in whatever you do!---------tedEbear

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Check out consignment stores.  I've heard of some that have very nice things at great prices.  You just might find a better quality gown at an insanely low price.  Then you could have it dry cleaned.  Look up what they say on-line about the various stores within driving distance so you can pick out the ones that are most likely to have a gown.  You could also wear a long skirt with a fancy blouse, couldn't you?

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Thank you thank you thank you! I never thought of Nordstroms...will head there tomorrow or check it out online! Love the black one!!!

Nordstrom will order dresses in your size and have them either sent to the store for you to try on, or to your home.

I think a dressy tea length dress is absolutely acceptable at a black tie wedding.  Rest assured not all ladies will be in floor length gowns.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought GREAT gowns for my sons' weddings, one from Penneys and one from Macys

With all of Macys' discounts you can get wonderful buys there.

DON't give up! You'll find something wonderful!

Go to the Macy's website- lots to choose from. 

Honored Contributor

Tea length is VERY acceptable for black tie.  

Honored Contributor

@tedEbear

honestly, I don't know all I know is that my niece called me and said you do know our wedding is black tie formal and I thought you would wear a long dress. 

I really didn't  give it much thought until my sister called to ask me to please get a long dress and spouse wear a tux. We are her godparents and whatever completes her special day we will do.

She is having the fairytale of all fairytale weddings from her dress to venue to decor, food, etc!

I guess I'm from the old days -- plain and simple. But good thing I get to get my hair and makeup done that day!  I'm going up week before to enjoy her before the craziness!!!

Thanks for the info!

Honored Contributor

I always think of tea length as just above the ankles, if that's the case with your dress then I'd wear it. Assuming it's of a more formal style. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval