Honored Contributor

Help plus size ladies ... I need a formal gown

I've been to every store in my area other than bridal shop.

I was planning on wearing to my nieces upcoming wedding a tea length/jacket dress (I had the gown from my sons wedding cut to tea length).

Well, my niece informed me her wedding is black tie (ugh!) formal. Every dress I've seen even online is $200-350 range. I hate buying online although I know my size (16-18 on everyday clothes).

I am looking for a place I can go and try on dresses vs ordering several online. Suggestions please.  I hardly understand brides these days!

(I'm certainly not happy with this as our airfare, hotel, car rental is already over $600 and we didn't even get to the gift or having to rent spouse tuxedo!)

Honored Contributor

Re: Help plus size ladies ... I need a formal gown

@homedecor1

$143 at Nordstrom-

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

$118 at Nordstrom-(stripes are velvet)

Respected Contributor

That's a lot of money to put out to attend the wedding. I know you love your niece, but making it black tie for all guests can make it a hardship especially for out of towners. Plus you need a gift, possibly a cash gift. $$$$

Thats putting it around $1000.00. If she is close to you, then of course, you must be there.  

We are about the same size, try a Bridal Salon and take a look at some styles.  

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

$139 at Nordstrom-

Trusted Contributor

Why not try the bridal shop?  They often have formal wear that is suitable for guests not just the wedding party and some shops are reasonably priced. If you have any resale (not thrift) shops in your area they also may have something that would work at a very attractive price.  There is one in the small town near wear I live and they often have nice formal wear of various sizes at nice prices too. 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

Thank you thank you thank you! I never thought of Nordstroms...will head there tomorrow or check it out online! Love the black one!!!

Trusted Contributor

That might work for some, but even on the model, the top and that band are not at all flattering. 

Honored Contributor

@scotnovel

going to look for a bridal shop near me. I will be traveling home in Feb fora girls weekend with my niece/her mom if I don't get something before I'll go to bridal shop with them.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

This doesn't solve your try on problem, but you can also RENT a gown from a site like renttherunway.com, which I just checked out for plus size.

This gown from Badgley Mischka is $80 to rent, for example.

This Carmen Marc Valvo one is $70.