Honored Contributor

Re: Help! Stop dye on jeans from rubbing off on my skin.

@ID2 wrote:

I've worn jeans my whole life and I honestly can't ever remember a time that they rubbed off on my skin! Never. I never take any extra care with my jeans....just wash and dry.

I'm with ID2 on this. Are you girls referring to colors other than the standard denim blue?

Honored Contributor

I only wear premium jeans and they have never rubbed off on my hands.  You have to careful with these jeans and not wash them very often.  There are other ways to clean them including putting them in a pastic bag in the freezer.  Rule of thumb with these jeans, don't wash them if you can avoid it.  The less you wash them, the better.  And if you do, never  dry in the dryer.  Just hang them up or lay flat to dry.

Honored Contributor

Oh it happens!  Those of you who have never experienced it, believe me it happens.  I had the worst trouble with NYDJ a few years back, with their black jeans.  They are not cheap, and considered fairly high end.'In fact here is a blurb from a Glamour editor

"This is the jeans nightmare shared today by one of Glamour's photo editors (who, due to severe, um, shyness, requested anonymity—and facelessness—on this blog, but did let me snap her in her dye-bleeding blues). Said-editor told me the problem is so bad that she can't sit down on a white couch without fear of leaving behind embarrassing streaks where her tush was."

I have done some research, and even called NYDJ customer service once.  I found out this is usually with vat dyed DARK wash jeans.  This rarely ever happens to lighter wash.  Dark wash are usually not prewashed.  They come out of the dye vat, rinsed, fabric finished and sold.  If you read all the small details, it is recommended to wash before wearing.  But most of us don't.  I sure do now!!  A few pairs of black jeans colored the leather seat in my new car, left my hands, face (from hands touching face)  with dark, dirty film!

Some dark jeans are woven from dark fibers, then sewn.  These usually don't present a problem.  But some designers want that solid, really deep, dark tint, so they dye them again.  These jeans need to be washed prior to wearing,

Turn jeans inside out, wash once or twice on a delicate cycle, with a soak cycle.  I add a teaspoon or so of vinegar.  Helps. I know I hate to wash new jeans because they always have that beautiful finish to them.  After they are washed they never look as good as they do on the rack.  I lightly press them after washing.  I don't put jeans in the dryer.  I line dry most of my better clothing and lingerie.  Personal preference