Respected Contributor

Re: Help! Salt Stains on Suede Boots

DH had experience in the Army dealing with keeping boots clean. Leather cleaners, oils, and polishes kept mine nice and shiny in the worst of elements. Not much of that is needed down here.

Esteemed Contributor

I would try a suede cleaner that can be purchased at most stores, but I would not wear suede in snow and ice!!

Super Contributor

if they are still wet stuff the toes with newspaper or tissue paper. dry AWAY from heating elements.

get a suede brush. it is a stiff bristle brush, and brush the suede nap when they have dried. you could try a nail brush in pinch.

good luck! gray may not show as much salt residue

Esteemed Contributor

YesOn 2/22/2015 lolakimono said:
On 2/22/2015 champagnepoodle said:

<br /> LOL I dont live up north, I feel kinda nuts now! LOL!

This is what she's talking about-

Image result for suede boots damaged by salt

Yes, thats how mine looked! I used a suede cleaner on them I got at DSW..they look much better, but need another treatment. I needed to protect them with a water repellant..I am VERY careful now to avoid wearing my Emus, Bearpaws or Uggs..the salt here is everywhere..sidewalks, parking lots..Ugh! I hate that stuff! Just an FYI, the suede brush didn't help much for me~

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

They are waterproof Emus. I bought them specifically to keep me warm and dry in the horrible weather.

I would never wear my dress boots, suede, leather or anything else out in the snow, rain, and slush!

I will try a suede cleaner and brush. They don't look as bad as they would if they were a darker color. The grayness sort of looks just a bit mottled.

*sigh*

Super Contributor

I live just north of Boston where we have five feet of snow (literally) still on the ground, so I know a little bit about the nasty stain marks left by the ice melt. I do not usually wear suede when the weather is bad, but a few years ago, I did get some salt stains on my brown suede boots. I used a product by Fiebing's called "Salt Stain Remover." I got it at a shoe store. It immediately took care of the stains. I've used it a few times since then with good results. Good luck with whatever you use!

Super Contributor

On 2/22/2015 ZoetheCat said:

I live just north of Boston where we have five feet of snow (literally) still on the ground, so I know a little bit about the nasty stain marks left by the ice melt. I do not usually wear suede when the weather is bad, but a few years ago, I did get some salt stains on my brown suede boots. I used a product by Fiebing's called "Salt Stain Remover." I got it at a shoe store. It immediately took care of the stains. I've used it a few times since then with good results. Good luck with whatever you use!

ZoetheCat,

Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Respected Contributor

I use vinegar and suede cleaner!! I have the same issue..I bought a pair of brown and black suede knee boots with lower heel just for errands and couldn't or didnt' want to do in heels.

They were DKNY brand and I paid like fifteen bucks each for them in Sam's on super duper clearance one spring. I wear them all the time and with all the snow/ice this winter they are a salty mess..I used vinegar and hot water and a towerl..clean!

I wasn't worried about them as I paid so little but I wanted to get more use out of them...they are stylish and comfy and fit the purpose perfectly LOL

Respected Contributor

On 2/22/2015 champagnepoodle said:

How in the world did you get salt on your boots? Cooking? How would salt stain, wouldn't the granuales just bounce off? I am sooo confused with this one.

This cracked me up lol

Super Contributor

Do you have a wire suede brush? I was able to get salt stains off my black suede ... let it dry and brush.