Honored Contributor

Ours opened about 10 days ago.  The young hairstylist who works next to mine had worked at Dillard's part time until shut down.  They called her right before opening an called her back.  She said no.  Melissa got a job at the Walmart Supercenter during the shutdown and is making more money for the same part time hours that she did at Dillard's.  She told me at the hair salon this past Friday that she had also lost 6 pounds working for Walmart instead of Dillard's.  She felt like that was an added bonus.  But she will be grateful when she gets enough clients to stop working part time in retail.  Have fun shopping @SharkE 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I don't plan on plucking chickens or slaughtering hogs just my credit card, so, I'm taking my chances.

The issue is spread of the virus.

Individuals who work in high infectious areas such as meat plants, nursing homes or prisons also go shopping, and church and restaurants. These people can put all of us at risk for illness.

When we are out in public we just don't know if the person next to you is a high risk  or has been sheltering at home for 6 weeks.  Our  friend has just been released from COVID rehab after spending 15  days on the ventilator and 4 more weeks hospitalized. Most of us will be ok getting back to usual activities but this virus is very serious.

I love the Texas Panhandle.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo 

You are way ahead of me.   I had never heard of Dillards before this forum and I still have never seen one!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Andreatoo 

You are way ahead of me.   I had never heard of Dillards before this forum and I still have never seen one!

@DiAnne 

I'd say they're on a par with Macy's or even Nordstrom but I don't have that much experience with them

Honored Contributor

Re: Heads up Amarillo, Tx

[ Edited ]

It was nice going in and looking around at EVERYTHING had a good time. Skipped mens and kids departments. Checked out clothes bought a pair of white slacks marked down to 23.00. Love Alison Daley

clothes. Her petite short slacks are 28 inches long. No hemming ! I"m not short, short. 5'5, but, petite short is just right for me. Spent little more on a house dress guess you call it. Big patch pockets and no buttons, zippers, snaps, ideal for Sat. baking. Doesn't catch on cabinet door knobs and pull on you. LOL 

Not too many there , so, no trouble being too close to others. Got out of there for a tad close to 100. Which for me is a miracle ! LOL

Couldn't believe Penny's doesn't sell Philosphy cleanser any more !

Guess though if they're going out of business it's understandable.

Hit couple of Wal-Marts while I was at it. Bed and Bath STILL not open yet .........sheesh...........

I'll check out few more places maybe Mon. and see if their open. Steinmart, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dillard's started out in Arkansas and went on into Tulsa Okl. @DiAnne   Their first store I believe here in Texas is my city where they bought out a another dept. store and renamed it Dillard's.  That was in the mid fifties. When my Great Grandmother always took me shopping there in the 60's it was never referred to as Dillard's but the original name.  I still remember when she bought me my first "foundation garment" otherwise known as a bra.Woman Very Happy

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

It was nice going in and looking around at EVERYTHING had a good time. Skipped mens and kids departments. Checked out clothes bought a pair of white slacks marked down to 23.00. Love Alison Daley

clothes. Her petite short slacks are 28 inches long. No hemming ! I"m not short, short. 5'5, but, petite short is just right for me. Spent little more on a house dress guess you call it. Big patch pockets and no buttons, zippers, snaps, ideal for Sat. baking. Doesn't catch on cabinet door knobs and pull on you. LOL 

Not too many there , so, no trouble being too close to others. Got out of there for a tad close to 100. Which for me is a miracle ! LOL

Couldn't believe Penny's doesn't sell Philosphy cleanser any more !

Guess though if they're going out of business it's understandable.

Hit couple of Wal-Marts while I was at it. Bed and Bath STILL not open yet .........sheesh...........

I'll check out few more places maybe Mon. and see if their open. Steinmart, etc.

Thats good that it was not crowded however were people wearing masks.  Just because stores are open does not mean it is safe.  I live near lake tahoe and they are asking people not to come there.  People with second homes can go.  Bravo to them

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 

Thanks for the info.  That is why I had probably never heard of it.  I was born and raised in Southern California and now live in the Pacific Northwest.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

@beckyb1012 

Thanks for the info.  That is why I had probably never heard of it.  I was born and raised in Southern California and now live in the Pacific Northwest.  

@DiAnne  I too was born & raised in SoCal & lived in the PNW for the next 29 years & had never heard of Dillards either until I moved to AZ.

ETA:  If I had to describe Dillards in terms of SoCal dept. stores, I'd say it's sort of a cross between May Co & Bullock's or the Broadway.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 

I loved Bullock's (and Robinsons).  I have been living here for 29-years also but no plans to move.   I have a good friends from Orange County who have lived for years in Sedona.  It is beautiful.