Honored Contributor

Re: Head coverings: Which ones do you choose to wear in windy/cold weather?

Umbrella, if I'm shoveling snow, I might wear a knit hat pulled down over my ears. Hate bundling up, except for extreme cases.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

If I'm walking and it's cold I wear those ear bands that go over my ears and the band goes around the back of the head. 

Otherwise, nothing.  If I have a coat with a hood and I get caught in rain or snow, I'll pull the hood up.  In rain, I prefer an umbrella but they aren't always practical.  Last week I had to walk among courthouses and it was raining but winds were gusting at 50mph.  An umbrella would have been wrecked.  LOL   

Honored Contributor

I no longer live where it gets cold but when I did I preferred the scarf that was also a hat. It did not smash my hair and yet kept me nice and warm. I still have one in my cedar chest in case I have to go somewhere it is cold in the winter.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I no longer live where it gets cold but when I did I preferred the scarf that was also a hat. It did not smash my hair and yet kept me nice and warm. I still have one in my cedar chest in case I have to go somewhere it is cold in the winter.

That sounds interesting, and like a good solution.

I hate hats of any kind. I have a few coats with hoods, and hoodies.

We have short winters, and I mainly go from house to car to destination.

Regular Contributor

The only time I wear something on my head is if I am out shoveling snow or at an outside activity in the winter.  I do have a scarf that has a hood built into it so if if is really cold like -20 I will pull that out.  Otherwise nothing goes on this head.

It is what it is!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Those who say they never wear a hat probably do  not have to wait outside for a bus. Having to wait for the bus puts a whole new perspective on cold weather gear.I worked in the city and we had to park off site and ride shuttel buses to our workplace, so we had to wait outside in the cold for the bus.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't like hats.

I generally choose coats with hoods so if I get caught in the elements I can pull it over my head until I get out of the rain or snow.

****************Me too!

Respected Contributor

we're currently in a drought situation in ca, but when it rained or does rain i do have some rain hats if it's really raining hard.  otherwise i just use an umbrella.

Esteemed Contributor

Today it is cold and raining.  I wore a wool felt brimmed hat to protect my hair.  I hate having to use an umbrella--they are cumbersome and I usually don't have a free hand.  

During heavy wet snow, I will choose to wear a coat with a hood. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Those who say they never wear a hat probably do  not have to wait outside for a bus. Having to wait for the bus puts a whole new perspective on cold weather gear.I worked in the city and we had to park off site and ride shuttel buses to our workplace, so we had to wait outside in the cold for the bus.

This is true.  I'm not in that situation.  My parking space at work is the third one from the door.  My car at home is inside our garage.