Trusted Contributor

Re: Have your style choices changed in the last 20 years?

No. I have been a casually classic dresser since I was 16 and started buying my own clothes.  My style has not changed much except that I do buy a few items "in style" that I wear when I go to something I want to look more "in" to such as a night out with my husband. I bought a cold shoulder blouse from Linea and I plan on wearing it out on date with him and when I see my children and want to feel more with it. 

When I am home I wear jeans all the time not athleisure wear. I wear full length jeans when it is below 75 and crop pant jeans when it is over 75. I don't wear shorts and never have because I am very short at 5 feet. I love Isaac's 24/7 ankle pants as they are classy and comfortable at the same time. His pima cotton tee-shirts are a staple in my wardrobe. I am also a Denim Diva and live in Denim & Co. it suits my style and my budget. 

I also have a color scheme in my closet that I stick too so that everything goes with everything else. I don't wear colors that don't go with my coloring.

I have stopped experimenting with different makeup looks now and wear what looks best on me rose pinks for cheeks and lips and soft taupey colors on the eye. I gave up listicks two years ago and now only wear shimmery rose pink glosses that look soft and classic. At 52 I just want to be my best self and I found that look now. It is saving me money. The same with skin care. I found that the expensive skincare was not making me look any younger; a simple routine is best.

Honored Contributor

@Elri  wrote:

I agree with you @Andreatoo

I dress basically the same, casually, with some minor chnges or a different riff on the same style.  

In dressy clothes, I can let my freak flag fly lol.

When I retire soon, I am afraid of what might happen.  Heaven help me.  I have to, simply have to, get rid of the sweat suits!  Too inviting.  Even my sweats are denim colored.

I will have to find some really comfy clothes that are cute.   

Twin Sister is trapped in time warp..1970's short short (denim) add a tank top. Yesterday's outfit same shorts with bikini top. Today same outfit mentioned above with flesh colored support knee socks. She is successful real estate investor. Most of her wardrobe 30 to 40 yrs old classics.  

Sorry..

But she looks hideous! 

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity

What's your point? That we all look hideous because our basic aesthetic hasn't changed? How about you? What are the drastic changes you've made over the years?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity

What's your point? That we all look hideous because our basic aesthetic hasn't changed? How about you? What are the drastic changes you've made over the years?

Tell us how your aesthetic has changed so significantly

@Andreatoo 

No wasn't referring to anyone here..sharing my feelings about my sister. 

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity

Well she is kind of proving my theory; that people's taste doesn't really change that much regardless of their age. Women that dress in a manner that others might find over-the-top or inappropriate have probably always been a little over-the-top or what others thought was inappropriate don't you think?

Honored Contributor

A good example of a very specific aesthetic that we're all familiar with is quacker Factory. Colorful and embellished. I don't think it's something that you wear because you're a certain age I think it's something that you have always enjoyed

Respected Contributor

Wow!  Time for some serious fashion soul-searching going on in my brain.

There were two of me back in the day.  The professional, suit, heels, boots, tailored dresses, etc. during the work week.

Then there was the party, clubbing, dating gal who loved satins, laces, soft, flowing dresses.  The reality is I still love both types of dressing but today I'm more laid back and casual...jeans, boots, sandals, etc. because my life style changed.

The one thing I learned was that there was a brief time when I wore clothes that were actually a bit too large for me and I learned that I looked better with closer fitting clothes which I still adhere to.

The truth of the matter is that I still love clothes.  If they're not something that fits in my current life, I'm tempted to buy them and frame them, just so I can look at them.Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

I used to wear 3" or 4" heels when I left the house for work or attend special events. 15 pounds heavier now and arches don't appreciate my lovely heels. Plus, retired from career and work part-time. I now go for polished casual, with style. Enjoy adding more color to my tops and wear more tunics and button-up blouses, instead of jackets. Still have a 'thing' for shoes, but platforms are great and 2-1/2" heels are the highest I want to go. The same great styles still turn my head, though.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

My style is essentially the same. I've always liked feminine and tailored clothing. Like comfortable things too. I've always worn what I think looks good on me, so as my body has changed I've adapted that accordingly. Shapers help too. 

I just like to feel I look nice for me. Not for anyone else. So I don't care at all if anyone thinks I'm dressing "too young". It's really none of their business. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"