Honored Contributor

Have your style choices changed in the last 20 years?

Or 30? 40? I'm accommodating for the different ages that frequent the board. I ask because it comes up every once in awhile the topic of dressing appropriately for a certain age.

I'm still attracted to the same things that I've always been attracted to. I don't suddenly like something that I never liked before and I'm not shopping in a store that never appealed to me before. When I see women suggest certain stores and vendors I wonder if they haven't always liked that certain store or vendor? I think a gal who's always been a conservative dresser, even in her twenties and thirties, won't suddenly turn boho in her 50s and 60s.

And it's not to say that I won't try new things but the basic appeal still has to be there. I do however adjust slightly for the changes in my body

Honored Contributor

Re: Have your style choices changed in the last 20 years?

@Andreatoo, I would have to say I agree with you. I like the same styles now (pretty much) as I always have, but have made some adjustments as my body changed over time.
"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

I agree with you @Andreatoo

I dress basically the same, casually, with some minor chnges or a different riff on the same style.  

In dressy clothes, I can let my freak flag fly lol.

When I retire soon, I am afraid of what might happen.  Heaven help me.  I have to, simply have to, get rid of the sweat suits!  Too inviting.  Even my sweats are denim colored.

I will have to find some really comfy clothes that are cute.   

Respected Contributor

I really haven't changed my style of dressing much either. Jeans and nice tops. Capris in the Summer, never cared for wearing shorts.  One thing I thought I never would wear are leggings and tunic tops.  Always thought I was to short for them.  Well had back surgery around 2 years ago, it did not go well and all I wanted was comfy pants and tops. Leggings and tunics hit the spot and I haven't looked back. Sure I am still a jeans girls too, always will be. Oh, and very few print tops, mostly solid. I did step out of the box with a few florals this Spring, the colors were too pretty to resist.

Honored Contributor

Mine haven't.  I've always dressed the same and like the same type of unique clothing that I always did.  While I know many who have felt they had to change their style of dress because they are older and it just doesn't suit them and they've become the typical stereotype older woman clothing dressers.  I cannot imagine ever being attracted to a conservative style of dress.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

20 - 30 - 40 years ago I was 5'10" tall and weighed 110 #. Now I wear a plus size . Thus my style choices have changed to accommodate my different body and , of course, to the styles of the times to the degree my fatter body allows me to follow the styles without looking ridiculous. That said I have never been a trendy dresser. I prefer to dress in more classic styles that last longer.

I did not save any of my hippie granny dresses or beads either.

Honored Contributor

I agree, how we dress is based on our personality and our personalities don't change much over the years.  Someone who wears tailored classics in her 40's isn't going to be running around in boho chic in her 60's.  I think over the years we learn more about style and fabrics and in our middle years, we can afford to buy more expensive clothes and accessories.  Our favorite designers and price points change and of course, styles are updated over the years but our fashion sense doesn't change much over time.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My style certainly has changed from what it was, say 10-plus years ago ... but maybe my current style has just become more relaxed.   I think this comes with retirement from the corporate/administrative environment when all I wore was business attire.  

Today, give me a leather bomber (or moto) jacket (or jean jacket as the weather turns), straight-leg jeans, cowboy boots/athletic shoes; and a turtleneck or tee (maybe throw in a cotton shirt on occasion) and I'm good to go.  I don't count summer styles since I'm not a big fan of summer clothes ... I buy what's on sale, occasionally stepping out of the box (like lately, with beach knit pants in prints).   However, I take my fall and winter wardrobe seriously ... ponchos, capes adding to the mix  knit pants and gorgeous sweaters. 

Yes, I'd say I've gone retro, boho, while keeping a touch of classic. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SoX

You didn't like bomber jackets, moto jackets and jeans 10 years ago?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo  ...

Not really into them back then ... weekend gear was sweat pants and shirts, jeans with no names, etc.   ... just something to throw on.

After I retired, all  h e l l   broke loose.