Trusted Contributor

Have you become more aware of your shopping?

[ Edited ]

Three years ago, before I read Marie Kondo's book on decluttering and started reading the website recoveringshopaholic.com, I had what I woulld call a large wardrobe of a mishmash of sales items,  bargains and colors.

These two sources have really changed my shopping style and spending habits. I still have what some would consider a  large wardrobe of about 200 items of clothing and 25 pairs of shoes, but living in a four season climate this number works for me.  Everything in my wardrobe fits me and I wear them and like them. If I don't, I donate them immediately.

Well, I was wondering how many clothing and shoes I bought last year and found that it was 50 items. I don't know if this is a lot or a little to some people, but I don't feel as thought I wasted any money on anything last year. So, I think that I may be at a good place in my wardrobe now. 

I doubt I will buy 50 items again this year as my wardrobe really works for me now, but it was good to count to be honest with myself. Everyone is different we all have different budgets and lifestyles, but decluttering my whole house, including my wardrobe, three years ago completely changed how I shop. I now only buy when a piece fits into my wardrobe now and will enhance what I have.

I wish I understood that a bargain really isn't a bargain if it doesn't fit in your wardrobe or go with your coloring. It was a hard lesson to learn.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you become more aware of your shopping?

Limiting the color palette of my wardrobe has helped to limit my clothing purchases and assures that what I buy will go with things I already own. I agree that low price alone is not a reason to buy an item of clothing.

I can't imagine that I will buy another pair of shoes or sandals this year. I hope I don't see any handbags to love. Bags are my weakness. I indulge, especially on Dooney's, but never here on the Q and never, ever anwhere near full price.

Honored Contributor

I retired, early, 6 years ago. Since then I do an annual purge of my entire house, and seeing the number of items that leave this house, every year has been an eye opener for me. Yes, I am more aware of my purchasing habits. I now need less clothing since I live a very casual life and rarely have dress up occasions to attend. Most all of our socializing is also casual, so that works for me also in keeping the shopping down to a reasonable amount.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Years ago I had a similar "problem."   I had "outfits," not a wardrobe.  I'd buy stuff that I couldn't mix/match with what I already had.  It wasn't a style issue, it was a color issue.  (Why did I buy that turq jacket???)

Then, in 1997, Linda Dano wrote "Looking Great."  I bought it, read it, and followed her advice.  Solved all my closet issues over the next few months. 

I've been following her advice for the last 20+ years ... and I'm in fairly good shape.  The book is still available at Amazon.

I still buy a lot of clothes and shoes - but they are within my color scheme and "everything goes with anything."   Basically, I can pull almost any shirt, pants, sweater/vest, scarf and shoes ... and they will all work together.

All my dresses are black ... similar styles.  Just have to accessorize for occasion.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I have.  I find that I need less when I am more organized.  I see what I have so I can put an outfit together.  Her method of folding clothing into thirds was life-changing.  That afforded me much more space in my drawers on on shelves.  I love her method!

Honored Contributor

I think what @ALRATIBA is true for me.  I don't buy outfits - I buy pieces that I can wear with everything.  I know it sounds trite - but I buy things I can dress or dress down depending on where I'm going or what I'm doing.  I don't mind spending more for something because I know I'll hang on to it for a while and get use out of it. 

I stopped buying junk just because it was on clearance or I might wear it.  Those were the items I was getting rid of more than anything. 

Respected Contributor

I would say yes.... finally!!! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Through life circumstances and introspection and other sources, I've figured out what my shopping was motivated by. It gave me temporary happiness during very bad and difficult times. Plus I love bargains and derive satisfaction from that. But it all is exactly that, temporary.

What makes me happiest now is having that knowledge and acting accordingly. That doesn't mean I completely deprive myself, couldn't do that either. But my focus for the future is experiences over things. And being more practical in my fashion purchases. Unfortunately now I have size issues because I have lost inches. But hopefully what I really want to keep can be tailored. My weight and shape tends to fluctuate anyway.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

As far as clothing, yes.  I find that most days,  now retired, I just stay home and wear my comfy clothes.  Maybe once a week venture out into the REAL WORLD and actually put on REAL CLOTHES.   I really need for nothing, and I have a nice selection of clothes for each season to choose from.

What I need to do though, is weed out the garments that I no longer wear.....that  do not fit.....and not tell myself I will wear it again SOMEDAY because someday never comes!

Where  I do go overboard is with skin care.   I love skin care!  Need to work on saying  NO MORE.  Love trying out new serums and creams! 

Honored Contributor

Since I was a teen, every piece of clothing I purchased had to " go with" at least three other things in my wardrobe, so ai never had stuff that I couldn't wear.

As a child I never wore cheap clothing.  My shoes and coats were the best available and my dresses were also well made.

I wore uniforms to school, so I only needed clothing for church and play.  Generally, my closet was pretty empty.  I only had a few articles of clothing, but they were all good quality.

I tend to still do that today, but I have much more casual clothes than ever.  I donated most of my business clothing when I retired...I admit to buying way too much the last ten years that I worked.

I guesstimate that I spent around $300 for clothing last year.  This year, I already spent around $250, but everything was deep discounted and needed.

I am always aware of how much money I spend on clothing and everything else.   I like to save and I'd rather use my money for traveling and vacation if I am gonna splurge.

The older I get, the less important "stuff" is to my happiness.