Honored Contributor

Re: Have you become more aware of your shopping?

I don't have too many clothes, I have too little closet.  Incumbent upon me to weed out SOMETHING. 

Honored Contributor

I always look through my give away bags and see what those items have in common...color? style? prints? bad fit?  Then I try not to make the same mistakes. 

When I stopped coloring my hair, my silver/grey hair eliminated a lot of tan, beige, and brown clothing that just did not look great on me anymore. So, shortly after, the brown shoes, bags, belts went to the donate bag as well. That cut out 1/4 of my “stuff”.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I really don't need a thing. My adventurous shopping days are now done occasionally with something specific in mind.  I have been "purging" closets, etc., and this has opened my eyes to how much "stuff" I have that I no longer use or brings me "joy".

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus I have been looking at what I wear and have  donated and there are a few themes: Denim & Co.'s perfect jersey, which I now detest because it is thick and rubbery.  I also noticed that all over prints are really not my thing. I have few Denim & Co. prints that are considered favorites such as the water color floral print and a geo print that are just too much for me. I don't feel comfortable when I go out in public in these prints. 

I am only 5 feet I need to take that into consideration when I buy clothing. Another thing I found out is that the tone of certain colors are just not making me happy. I find them jarring. I find that this is the case with turquoise. I love the pop of color I get from my turquoise jewelry, but as a jean jacket or a top it overwelms me. I need to remember these things before I purchase anything else.

Honored Contributor

Yes, and I have been aware for a long time, and I don't like it, ha!

I do not have an excess amount of clothing, but I have more than I probably need...but thats ok....I like most of what I have.  I did get rid of about 4 things today when I was going thru my closet.

My lifestyle is very casual and don't go a lot of places so I reallly don't need much.  I still buy, but am more selective.  Today,  I am home all day so what I am wearing is just pull on black knit pants from Macy's, my go to for when I am home all day...and I have several warmer items for tops that are for home only...never know what I will do on my days off at home and don't what to change clothes if I decide to mop floors, clean house etc....

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

@Shanus I have been looking at what I wear and have  donated and there are a few themes: Denim & Co.'s perfect jersey, which I now detest because it is thick and rubbery.  I also noticed that all over prints are really not my thing. I have few Denim & Co. prints that are considered favorites such as the water color floral print and a geo print that are just too much for me. I don't feel comfortable when I go out in public in these prints. 

I am only 5 feet I need to take that into consideration when I buy clothing. Another thing I found out is that the tone of certain colors are just not making me happy. I find them jarring. I find that this is the case with turquoise. I love the pop of color I get from my turquoise jewelry, but as a jean jacket or a top it overwelms me. I need to remember these things before I purchase anything else.

@Squirrel Lover   Yes, I feel chopped in half in there’s too much variance in color between tops and bottoms...Even wearing black and white, I try to tie them together w/ a longer black cord-type necklace w/ pendant. No prints in my closet. I have a few jackets that are tweed and that’s about it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not with fashion, but I spent enough on beauty products and decluttered enough of them bought in the last year that I could have easily made VIB Rouge had I bought all of my beauty products at Sephora where they at least have a loyalty rewards program. You have to spend $1,000 to become a VIB Rouge, FYI.

Most of my beauty spending went to the drugstore where only Shopper's Drug Mart in Canada has a loyalty program that's worth anything to me.

I also recently did a declutter of shoes because some that I could wear when I bought them I could not wear or make them comfortable due to reoccuring foot and ankle pain. Some of those shoes were barely worn or never worn either. Talk about money down the drain!

Esteemed Contributor

More deliberate in purchases. If I do splurge or impulse buy - it's okay. I enjoy because I rarely do it.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau