Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Turned Your "Extra Bedroom" Into A Closet????

I have not and would not - we have two spare rooms - one is set up as a guest room that I sleep in occasionally as dh snores and talks in his sleep...the other has my ironing board and exercise bike.  

Valued Contributor

Yes, I have turned 2 extra bedrooms into closets and I wish I had another spare one!  It seems the more room you have, the more room you need.  Needless to say, I love clothes.

Honored Contributor

No but all the closets in 6 bedrooms are filled.  I have 3 closets in my master bedroom.

But I did turn one of the bedrooms into a shoe room!  I have the shoes in those huge long plastic bins.  

I do love shoes.  A lot of them are various styles and colors of Birkenstock.

I have one closet filled with coats.  Funny thing is I hardly ever wear a coat.

Honored Contributor

In a manner of speaking, yes I did. We bought an older home with smaller bedrooms than we were accustomed to, so, we took down the wall between 2 of them, turned a little over half of one of them into a walk-in closet, and extended our bedroom a good amount. We left the closet that was already there, removed the doors to it and our large armoire fits there perfectly. During this process, we also enlarged the master bath by about 2 extra feet.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I have put items into extra closets but didn't make the rooms closets.

Super Contributor

We turned ours into a cat room! Cat trees, cat litter bixes, cat food, etc!

Esteemed Contributor

On second floor, we have our master bedroom, my personal craft and reading room, DH’s study, and grandchildren’s bedroom.  All closets are crammed with clothes.  I have a special cabinet in my room for all my pocketbooks.  My DH has piles of clothing, just like me.  Two coat closets on first floor are full, as well.  Really crazy, isn’t it?  and don’t get me going on the jewelry collection. What were we thinking? 

Honored Contributor

Just giving you my 2 cents.  If I owned a home and had an extra room and had money, I would have it turned into a closet but professionally done so I would have drawers, space for shoes, sweaters that would be covered and of course, a nice lounger or some time of seatng to try clothes on and shoes.  I wish it was a reality instead of a dream.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

no i am unable to do that.  i live in a very small condo and each of my small closets is full.   it has long been a dream, though, to have a nice big spare bedroom that i could make into a closet.  i'm pretty sure it will remain a dream. LOL.  good idea, though! 

Esteemed Contributor

Our extra bedroom is my "she den."  My den has a large walk-in closet that I use for out-of-season clothes and boxes of stuff.  Actually, the boxes of stuff take up more room than the clothes.  I wouldn't give up my den for anything, especially to use as a clothes closet.   I'll add that since I retired, the only clothes I own are mainly jeans and t-shirts.  I need a fraction of the closet and drawer space that I used to.  We now have so much extra space in our bedroom walk-in closet that I put a small chair and chest of drawers inside it.  Voila!  A dressing room!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt