Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You Turned Your "Extra Bedroom" Into A Closet????

I did this at me old home. It was a small bedroom. I had a company come in and put in shelves and drawers and bars to hang. I had a dresser with all my products on it and a great chair big mirror.  I loved this closet. Now I have a walk in with wire shelves. It was worth every dime doing this. 

Respected Contributor

@4kitties 

If your daughters don't want the prom gowns, grad robes, etc., why are you keeping them ?  Others may need these items and enjoy them, esp. getting them from a good thrift shop.

Then you would have more space for clothes, linens, decor items, gift closet, etc.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Yes yes yes!!!   My DH built me shelving and put in clothing rods for hanging in a small finished room in the basement of our townhouse.  I have an entire wall of shoe shelves,

with long hanging rods on each side of the room and another wall of  large shelving for extra comforters, throw pillows, blankets etc.    Also an Origami type shelving unit sits in the middle of the room.........it's pure joy Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the entire room have storage to hang clothes and shelves to store extra bed linens , pillows , shoes , handbags , ect.  Best idea ever  as all the comforters , quilts  and custom sofa slipcovers , window treatments  take up alot of storage space.

Honored Contributor

Yes, my husband did this about 10 years ago.  We had 3 spare bedrooms so he knocked down the wall between our master and a spare bedroom, and in that spare he built cabinets and shoe cubbies, hung up rods for hanging clothes, and my vanity is in there too.  To be honest it is too big, and if we had to do it over again we would tone it down a bit.

Respected Contributor

Guilty!  I keep other stuff in there, too, like Christmas decorations.

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

I have not.. I have purged so much that my walk-in closet suits my needs.  Since I have downsized my wardrobe it is much easier getting dressed.  I found I was wearing only a small percentage of what was in my closet.  

@Junebug54   The same here. My closet is huge. When we built the house 22 yrs. ago, there was a small exercise area on the plans next to my closet which we didn't need. I absorbed that space into my closet. My dresser is built-in there, too. Our room's on the first floor with othr bedrooms on the 2nd floor. Even though the married, I'd hate to move clothing upstairs and back down.

Now that I've also decluttered my clothing, shoes and bags, I have more than enough room. The ceilings on the first floor are high, so I can have 2 rods going up and many shelves on the walls w/ shoes and tees/sweaters. 

Respected Contributor

Yes!  Its awesome and I love it.  Its like shopping for your clothes each day and I have a vanity in that room with my makeup and get ready in that room.  I love it!  

Esteemed Contributor

Set up blog and use it for a tax write off?

Respected Contributor

@jlkz 

They do want them, they just have not removed them from home!🤣🤣

I have plenty of room for my linens, in a large linen closet.  My decor items have a large closet in the basement.  I have no need for a gift closet and have never had or wanted one.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward