Valued Contributor
On 7/11/2014 expatgal said:
On 7/11/2014 tough_kitty said:

I had to look up the packing cubes. While they keep things organized, they add weight and take space!!! Not very practical, in my opinion.....

Eagle Creek "Specter Cubes" - average 1 oz. each. They're made of a lightweight, washable, durable nylon. Worth every cent, IMO. Roll clothes and you can get a lot in each one. So helps in organization and also unpacking. I'm sure there are "heavier" ones out there, but they are SO worth it. I love the different sizes and also use them in my carry on bag.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check them out. Looks like a great idea for a medium size suitcase.... but maybe not when you travel to Europe because there is a limit and every pound counts! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Come on ladies lets calm down. Sure shes lucky to be going on a cruise but good for her. Do I wish I was going? Yes but I'm not gonna bite the poor OP's head off. I mean come on who doesn't like to pack and unpack? Going on vacation is nice but packing can be a pain in the butt...and maybe shes worked hard for this cruise and earned it.

Occasional Contributor
Thanks every one for great tips! Hubby and I work really hard, he is engineer and I am a teacher. This is our time to unwind. Wishing everyone the best!
Trusted Contributor

I would love to be packing for a vacation--any vacation. Last year, our new kitchen was our vacation. This year, DH has had health issues. We already cancelled a week's trip up to Petoskey (northern Michigan). Now we find out we may have to put off a 2-day stay on Mackinaw Island to celebrate our 20th anniversary as he may require back surgery. I want him healthy & back the way he was, so I don't regret it, but you should count your blessings that you are able to go.

Regular Contributor

Is this a joke???? Surely it is.....

Valued Contributor

I don't mind packing but seem to take too much always. I lay all my things out in the spare room and try and find things to mix and match and items that will not wrinkle or hardly wrinkle. I have to do it a head of time so I can see what can be eliminated. I always pack early and don't mind at all.

Honored Contributor

Better to talk about real life problems then to rip apart hosts/vendors. Packing is a real problem for many and some have offered some great tips. Why should anyone who has worked hard and can afford trips feel guilty because others can't or are living in less than desirable conditions. That doesn't mean others have to not enjoy life.

To the poster who mentioned about all the unfortunates - good for you and I'm sure you donate generously to all of them!! No need to mention it on this posts!!

Honored Contributor

Pook you're right. I was having a rough day yesterday, and should have just passed right on by. I usually feel if you don't have a positive to add, don't add anything and I broke my own rule. So I do apologize, no harm meant, just a rough day for me. Sorry again.

Super Contributor
On 7/11/2014 expatgal said:

I had to look up the packing cubes. While they keep things organized, they add weight and take space!!! Not very practical, in my opinion.....

Eagle Creek "Specter Cubes" - average 1 oz. each. They're made of a lightweight, washable, durable nylon. Worth every cent, IMO. Roll clothes and you can get a lot in each one. So helps in organization and also unpacking. I'm sure there are "heavier" ones out there, but they are SO worth it. I love the different sizes and also use them in my carry on bag.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check them out. Looks like a great idea for a medium size suitcase.... but maybe not when you travel to Europe because there is a limit and every pound counts! Smiley Happy

I sometimes use large zip lock bags (the sturdier freezer or jumbo). They weigh nothing and I can put outfits together. My worry was that the cubes would add weight and even use up more space but NO THEY'RE GREAT!! And no rummaging around for items as if in a drawer. Things are more organized. Mine are Eagle Creek as well from ebags. Very lightweight and durable. They have all kinds of sizes.

Regular Contributor

Although not going on a cruise in the near future, I am going to visit DD and family in a couple of weeks. I hate to pack. I have always over packed, just to have to unpack it all, most unworn, on return. Last year when I visited DD I tried an experiment. I only took one pair of boots, and based all my clothing choices around the color black. I took very little. I pared my make-up down. It was so nice to have a small duffel instead of a huge suitcase. It took me all of 5 minutes to unpack. I believe my over packing days are over. I did this again when I had to suddenly fly to a funeral and last week when I went to LV. Everything in 2 Vera Bradley duffels. One for clothing, based on one color scheme, one for toiletries. Once again, unpacking was a breeze. Oh, and I take no extra jewelry, just the jewelry I am wearing.