Respected Contributor

Has anyone worn the new tank "backwards"?

I was thinking of ordering for my sister who likes a higher neckline. If you've worn it "backwards" as Louis said we might, did you remove the tag? I'm worried that if I remove the tag I'll make a hole in the garment.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Super Contributor

Re: Has anyone worn the new tank ""backwards""?

I don't think I have the tank you're referring to, but I think if you have a seam ripper and are really careful you could remove the tag.

Esteemed Contributor

Sheesh, I'm planning to wear mine backwards, but haven't removed the tag yet because they just arrived yesterday. I have to say that I'm not wild about how they look backwards if worn alone. My bra straps show, and I think that the armholes don't quite look natural when worn this way. But two of the colors are perfect matches for older Linea jackets that I own so I'm keeping them to use under the jackets. The only reason I'll wear them backwards is because at 5'2" and being short waisted, all necklines are proportionally lower on me, including these tanks. I'll try to remove the tags tonight and let you know how it goes.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I'm thinking that designers should attach their tags with a strand or two of thread on each side of the top of the label/tag. That way, we can easily snip/remove the label/tag.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I think the tag can be removed -- probably carefully using a nail or embroidery scissor. Remember the huge tag on the herringbone scarf that came with the matching top? That was sewn down on two sides rather than just basted at the top two corners!! I managed to get that tag removed w/o damaging the material below it.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

OK, I just removed the tag. It took about 5 minutes and there is no damage to the knit. It's sewn on so well that I couldn't see any threads to pick at first, so I decided to just trim the tag close to the seam. I figured I could live with a tiny bit of tag on the inside. But after I cut away most of the tag, the little bit that was left attached to the tank immediately began to ravel. So I just used my fingernail to ravel away all of the remaining tag fibers, which wasn't much. I had cut very close to the seam to begin with. Once the tag fibers were gone, I thought I was finished, but realized that the stitching could be seen on the right side. So I carefully used a seam ripper to remove that stitching, working from the wrong side. Honestly, it took me as much time to type this as it did to remove the tag, but I have been sewing for most of my life. So it might take you a bit longer, but it is definitely doable.Smile

ETA I did the cutting using very small scissors, similar to embroidery scissors. I would not try this using larger "household" type scissors.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

Hate those tags! It's the first thing I do before putting away my new items--tag removal. I use a pair of small blunt end scissors that DH has for trimming his mustache. It takes a little patience, but they are not impossible to remove without making a hole in the fabric.

I have not tried mine on backwards yet, but I'm really happy to have a lower cut neckline, so I'm not in any hurry.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday, I wore the purple one backwards! Had to wear a sports-type bra whose straps meet in the middle in back to avoid showing straps, but otherwise, it looks GREAT!

Oh, I had the alteration guy at the dry cleaner remove the tag. I think he might have un-sewn and then re-sewn something--don't know. Cost me $7.00.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Contributor

On 6/12/2014 shoesnbags said:

Sheesh, I'm planning to wear mine backwards, but haven't removed the tag yet because they just arrived yesterday. I have to say that I'm not wild about how they look backwards if worn alone. My bra straps show, and I think that the armholes don't quite look natural when worn this way. But two of the colors are perfect matches for older Linea jackets that I own so I'm keeping them to use under the jackets. The only reason I'll wear them backwards is because at 5'2" and being short waisted, all necklines are proportionally lower on me, including these tanks. I'll try to remove the tags tonight and let you know how it goes.

shoesnbags

I tried the tanks on backwards and have the same opinion as you. Thought about returning the tanks, but the colors work with other items so I think I will keep them. I don't wear sleeveless anyway, so the armhole issue isn't a problem and I do prefer the tank backwards so the neckline is higher. (I'm 5'5 3/4") Guess I will be removing tags too. I have a seam ripper for sewing and a "pokey thingy" (tim holtz) for crafting and will try those for removing the tags.

Respected Contributor

On 6/12/2014 Sheesh said:

I was thinking of ordering for my sister who likes a higher neckline. If you've worn it "backwards" as Louis said we might, did you remove the tag? I'm worried that if I remove the tag I'll make a hole in the garment.

Yes! Cut off the tag. Been wearing tanks BW for years.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."