Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone started their Christmas shopping yet?

I always get a kick out of these threads.  Like there's something wrong with those of us who dare to buy a gift early or think ahead to an event be it birthday,  graduation, or, dare we say it, Christmas. 

That somehow if you shop early you're buying junk to just hurl at the recipient when the time comes, but if you shop at the most perfect time, the very perfect time, your gift will be the very best of all. 

Just an FYI, if anyone cares, I give fabulous gifts. Always well thought out, for the individual I'm giving the gift to. And always well received.  And that's whether I shop in March or December. 

And....I'm a good multi tasker. I'm well aware that it's summer and I'm not wishing for fall or winter or any other time.  In my case, my father is in the hospital. He's been in the hospital, then rehab, and now, back in the hospital, since June 7th.  I've got nothing but time.  Time to sit and shop online and play on my iPad because fun summer stuff just isn't on my radar right now. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Today, courtesy of HSN. They've featured some great gifts for kids and grown-up kids on their Christmas in July show, lol.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh I hope your dad gets better soon!

When I used to do a lot of shopping, I started around September or so. These days, I only have 5 or 6 gifts to buy, if that---and it sure is nice!

I don't think it's "rushing" things or "wishing your life away" to get it done early, or shop the whole year through...it's priorities. And if you enjoy doing your shopping later, that's good, too!

Honored Contributor

No. I learned the hard way that shopping early means I just spend more money. I don't actually stop shopping until Christmas anyway!

Honored Contributor

I start my Christmas shopping on the after Christmas sales the year before.  I only have few more gifts to buy - just waiting to find the perfect item.  I want to enjoy the Hoilday season and not all the stress of too much to do.  

Honored Contributor

I bought three of the Emjoi eRases (me, DD, furture DIL) with the intentions of giving them to the girls at Christmas.  I bet they get them sooner.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

No. I'm a firm believer in getting only what my family asks for. Picking up a bunch of junk all year long and then giving it to them doesn't accomplish anything but feeding the need to be the first done with buying for Christmas.

@ID2

I must have missed that post .... just who said they were buying junk for people they buy for?

Respected Contributor

Ask me again in five months :-) 

Honored Contributor

Please!!!  Not in this heat!

Honored Contributor

I think I already responded to this question by saying no, don't usually start till mid-October. My reasoning for this is, the recipient will have either bought the item for themselves before Christmas or have changed their minds about wanting it, lol, either way, I wasted money and effort for something they will now need to return, more wasted effort on their part. In my family and group of friends we tend to buy what we want, when we want it, lol, we are hard to shop for.
"To each their own, in all things".