Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone here experimented with wardrobe capsules?

My closet only knows two seasons....March-October & Nov- Feb. And really...not too many of my clothes can't be worn all year. Tweeds and cashmere...winter only. White pants and jackets, linen and guaze only spring and summer. Living in Seattle...with the moderate temps...layering is the way I manage. I do like the idea of focusing on a top 40 or so pcs that can be mixed around. But then...I don't work with other women who might notice that I wear the same black pants 2 times a week. LOL!
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/24/2015 sylviahomeatlast said: Our climate (weather) is such that the seasons overlap. For instance, it was 47 degrees today after a giant snowstorm 2 days ago. tomorrow it will be 49. here, we can wear shorts and (Birkenstocks) with socks or not. then we will be wearing our North Face down parkas and boots etc. I don't put things away. I can always wear a sweater over a sundress. Smiley Happy
Have to ask...Oregon? Washington?
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Not interested.

Too many rules make fashion less fun. And I don't have that many clothes. And most of the tops are layering pieces. It sounds like you don't count most things. lol...

Besides, I live in Central Florida and we can wear the same things pretty much year round.

I keep my closet pretty well organized & I reorganize it often, weeding out too big clothes as I shrunk in size.

Valued Contributor

On 1/24/2015 sylviahomeatlast said: Our climate (weather) is such that the seasons overlap. For instance, it was 47 degrees today after a giant snowstorm 2 days ago. tomorrow it will be 49. here, we can wear shorts and (Birkenstocks) with socks or not. then we will be wearing our North Face down parkas and boots etc. I don't put things away. I can always wear a sweater over a sundress. Smiley Happy
Colorado. :-D
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/24/2015 sylviahomeatlast said:
Colorado. :-D
Colorado is beautiful. Didn't notice Birkies with socks. Thought that habbit was just us hippies from the NW. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

My main closet isn't organized by season because I wear jeans year round but I do put long sleeve tops on hangers in fall, winter, and spring, then take those out and put them in storage boxes and switch them out with the short sleeve tops for summer. When I'm changing seasons I will try on clothes and get rid of clothes that I don't like, don't fit, or are wearing out. I also just got rid of some jeans because the fabric was off grain and the seams twisted after washing them. My pet peeve is when jeans side seams twist because the fabric was cut off grain as that can't be fixed.
Honored Contributor

I need clothes for all 4 seasons and any more the seasons aren't clearly defined. My closets and drawers are a mess at this time -- I will admit it.

I think the concept of the capsules sounds very good, and I wish I could adhere to this, but I feel I need too many different kinds of clothing and I am too unorganized! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} Plus, I get hot and cold continually, so I am constantly, taking on, putting off, switching clothing, etc. I'm just trying to be comfortable and look nice at the same time. Not always easy. And I am too fickle. I may love certain pieces one day and the next I hate them and don't like the way they look on me or decide the style is just not for me.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I find this fascinating! I think this is kind of what I have done. This week I chose exactly 40! items on hangars to move with me. This does not include camis, workout clothes, jammies, or jeans/capris as those are folded. I also brought along 2 hoodies and 5 jackets. and 3 sweaters. lol

My clothes storage is full and I am eager to see how what I brought works for me.

Super Contributor

Sounds like a great concept, but I live in such an odd location that it would not work for me. It can be a high of 60 degrees here (like today), but if I go shopping 25 miles down the mountain, it is 82 degrees today.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Trusted Contributor

Angie on YouLookFab.com writes about wardrobe capsules. I like the idea of capsules, but it seems like a lot of work and planning to me. I find that if I buy clothing in styles and colors that look good on me, then they usually mix and match nicely.

Paws and enjoy life.