Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Has anyone ever received a message that item was BACKORDERED?

I think people are using this term when they see "waitlist."  I have never seen an item "backordered" since they put in the computer system. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever received a message that item was BACKORDERED?

@depglass 

I received my first email on an item that said it was in stock. Now they show it on my order status as back ordered. The email also said that if it's not back in stock by 45 days it would be cancelled. Isn't that wait list info? I've shopped for over 25 years and this is a first for me. Why show it as being in stock in the first place?  I guess if I get it, that's fine, if I don't that's ok too.

@depglass wrote:

I think people are using this term when they see "waitlist."  I have never seen an item "backordered" since they put in the computer system. 

Trusted Contributor

same for me Leeny...first time i've ever got 'backordered'(not waitlist)...i ordered a philosophy item for my mom on saturday...it said it was in stock & my order showed as in process...a few hours later it suddenly changed to backordered...obviously someone is not checking inventory status correctly...i called customer service & as usual everyone is clueless...not sure if i should chance it coming back in stock or cancel...qvc has gone downhill...in the past at least customer service could help...now their answer to everything is try back in a few days...can't blame covid & the warehouse fire foreverSmiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

@depglass 

I have 4 items right now 'backordered'.

NOT wait list.

Status is Backorder....

I have had this distinction on orders for a very long time (not Vid or supply chain time frame, WAY before)

I don't think people are mixing up the terms at all...it can say one or the other

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass 

From QVC Frequently Asked Questions:

What does it mean if an item is only available through Waitlist?

The Waitlist option is offered when an item is sold out, and there is a reasonable expectation that the item will return to stock within 45 days. Although placing an order on our Waitlist is not a guarantee that stock will be received, it is a good way of reserving an item if it does come into stock. If we are unable to fulfill your order, you will be notified within 45 days.

What does it mean if my item is on back order?

We hope we can always fulfill your order right away but, sometimes, items are out of stock—that means, it can take a few weeks to 30 days to know whether we can fulfill it. If we’re able to, your order status will change from “back order” to “shipped” and we’ll send a confirmation, as long as your email address is on your account. Also, you’ll only be billed if and when your order ships.

In the meantime, you have options:

• If the item comes in different colors, styles, or sizes, consider choosing one that may be available immediately.
  • You can cancel your order at any time.
Honored Contributor

In answer to the OP - yes, many times over the years.  Sometimes the orders get filled, other times they get cancelled.

It's not the same as waitlist.  With waitlist, you know upfront that the item isn't currently in stock.

With backorder, you placed your order for something that was "in stock" and then the Q realized it wasn't and put it on backorder in the hopes of being able to fulfill the order somewhere down the road.  (More often than not, in my experience, it gets cancelled.)

Frequent Contributor

I have gotten that message a couple of times.  Both times I did not get what was ordered. 

Lately there have been a lot of glitches in the ordering system.  This is another reason why I am trying not to order anything from QVC.

If I see something I like I search for it at other sites and buy it there.

Honored Contributor

QVC is the only company I have known that consistently lists things as "in stock" then after you order they tell you it is backordered.  I wasn't given an option to cancel a few times either.

It gets old.  What have they done?  Bought out Wylie Coyote's Acme computer system?  This is new since they switched IT providers and were going to cancel the forums.  This computer mess pretty much dates back to that.  Along with the exit of the fabulous customer service system they had.  I emphasize HAD.  New MGT. team really fouled things up. 

Honored Contributor

I stand corrected.  OK, I'll buy backorder meaning a shipment is expected from the manufacturer, especially on items that are constantly stocked like Purity.  To me waitlist is fulfilled when other customers cancel, their credit card is declined, or someone sends that item back. I think that thread of hope on a waitlist is better than what some other channels offer, nothing.  Once sold out is announced you are out of luck, even if that item is returned.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

QVC is the only company I have known that consistently lists things as "in stock" then after you order they tell you it is backordered.  I wasn't given an option to cancel a few times either.

It gets old.  What have they done?  Bought out Wylie Coyote's Acme computer system?  This is new since they switched IT providers and were going to cancel the forums.  This computer mess pretty much dates back to that.  Along with the exit of the fabulous customer service system they had.  I emphasize HAD.  New MGT. team really fouled things up. 

@Sooner 

LOL  Wylie Coyote Acme Comp sys...too funny!

But I don't get what you mean the exodus of the fab customer service?

I have contacted the Mods and occasionally the CS phone reps and still have excellent customer service!  Absolutely no complaints about them.  They have corrected any issue I have had promptly.